Bourbon

So....I've been trying to learn bourbon for the last year.

Thought I should learn American whiskey instead of Canadian (crown).

After a lot of research, :) I've found that hipsters have mucked up bourbon just like hunting.

Last month I found one that is smoth, and delicious, but affordable, and you can actually find it.

View attachment 219943
This would be my choice as well

Only time I mix bourbon is in a Manhattan. I substitute a thin slice of orange for the cherry though. Otherwise it's straight over an ice cube

Best bourbon depends strongly on my mood. Buffalo trace is a good standby as others have mentioned. I like Noah's Mill for a gentler buttery flavor. I prefer my bourbon to have a stronger flavor than most, so many of the whiskeys that some might call "smooth" I call "weak." Note that strong flavor is not the same as "rough" (as in cheap, bad booze).

It's odd to me that E.H. Taylor only had one mention here, and a negative one. I loved it. Rugerman, I'll trade you 😉.

Here's what I've learned though (with a few exceptions on either side):

Rye>Bourbon

My current favorite is this 119.1 proof Whistle Pig, although for $20 the Old Forester rye is very good too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 53
Best bourbon depends strongly on my mood. Buffalo trace is a good standby as others have mentioned. I like Noah's Mill for a gentler buttery flavor. I prefer my bourbon to have a stronger flavor than most, so many of the whiskeys that some might call "smooth" I call "weak." Note that strong flavor is not the same as "rough" (as in cheap, bad booze).

It's odd to me that E.H. Taylor only had one mention here, and a negative one. I loved it. Rugerman, I'll trade you 😉.
I much prefer stag Jr over EH Taylor personally. Secondary market price is vastly different but Just my and couple fellow bourbon drinkers opinion

I like George Dickel, there are many others that are superior but GD removes less $ from my treasury so I can buy more bullets & stuff.

Over ice from bottled water.

Last edited:
four roses small batch is much better than regular . Eagle rare is buffalo trace small batch , both very good. Anything Barton is not so good. I'm not far from bourbon country and done the tours several times. I always have some makers 46, Buffalo Trace single barrel and a random single barrel my guy recommends in the cabinet.
On another note, how do you guys like your bourbon served?
pull the cork and open a cold beer sip one and drink the other

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.