Bought a .270 Today

Take very long and very careful look at the .260 Remington--including Nosler's
Factory load, 140-grain Ballistic Tip at 3,000 fps leaves the .270 in the dust!
I'm curious how they are getting 3000 when the data they publish maxes at 2830 with the 140's. Meanwhile, their 270 data with 140 pill hits 3000 with three different powders. Have you chronod their 260 ammo? Not very dusty from my perspective. Seems Ragged Edge is in the right ballpark based on Nosler's published data.

Yes Sir Mr. Edge , The "Creed "is a Great target round. No Question about that. Really , However I'm convinced a round developed 3/4 of a century ago, by simply necking down a case developed in 1906 may also show good results , and compete with the new Computer Generated , Ultra Engineered , super star target round of 2020. The 150 Grn Accubond Long Range Bullets, seem to show great promise, at .270 Win Velocities.... and I have not even fired the 170 Grn Berger Bullets yet. On the other hand the same Companies who spent years developing the 6.5 Creedmoor, have already brought out a new line of Ammo and Rifles in 6.5 PRC , with an even larger case capacity than the Creed . Some might say an IMPROVEMENT ,over the first offering???!!!

I am a fan of many chamberings and .270 and its variants are up there for me. I have a .270 AI on a Savage 110 LA with 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" #6 with JP coulee MB specially built to propel 165/175 Matrix VLDs. The current accuracy load is 2993 FPS with H4831SC. Others are claiming an addtional 75-100 FPS with RL26.

View attachment 221698View attachment 221701
.270 Win 150 NBT vs .270 AI 175 Matrix
Im a .270 fan! Only one I've personally owned was a Cooper custom classic with an extraordinary piece of XXX+ wood. It really got the fire burning for true long range shooting when I was killing marmots out to 750 yards. It hurt me to think of messing that spectacular wood up and I sold it to fund a custom build, but that's a different story. I've been thinking I should have another and this photo of the 270 AI is probably the last straw in my hesitation.

Must chime in here. I have a 1958 Remington 721 in .270. It still has the original barrel and shoots .5 MOA. The original owner built a Monte Carlo style stock from nice figured walnut with bird's eye maple grip cap and forearm tip. My wife made the deal while I was at work. I kept both of them.
My 58 is a 760.....the ONLY remington's I own are pumps

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
I am big fan of the 270...It is really my go to for most situations. I have 2 rifles in 270, Browning BLR and a Mannlicher Shoenaur...Both are extremely accurate. 130gn Barnes for Ca, 150 gn ABLR's for big game up to Elk under 400yds. I have not been convinced that the 6.5CM has the killing power nor the versatility that the 270 has.

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
You will be amazed at the performance of your 270 using RL 26...if you can find it.

The .270 has 15+ grains of water over the .260 - see attachment so any thought a .260 will "stomp" the .270 with a 140 grain bullet is not exactly "on target". In fact, RL26 has re-invented the .270 to even a great degree than thought possible. A 150ABLR out if 24" barrel easily tops 3150 in my Savage 110C with Shaw barrel. This is using load data from Alliant for the 150 grain Partition which actually topped 3000 fps which is also far better than any 6.5 with 140 gr bullet. The 150 ABLR just has less baring surface thus greater velocity. The 6.5's are great, no question about it but they will not kill dinosaurs nor will they shoot over the horizon, I know this is blasphemy but sometimes we have to just be realistic. IMO - There will be another run at the .270 with better twists and heavier higher BC bullets by manufacturers that will invigorate this cartridge once again in the mainstream. Actually there is no reason why it needs a 1:10 twist now anyway. It is not a varmit rifle so hopefully manufacturers will start to listen up. Just look at the bullets that are out there right now from Hammer, Cutting Edge, Berger, Nosler, Hornady that are either higher BC, heavier and higher BC, bonded, mono's that transform the .270 from being Grandpa's 130 grain pill to a much better long range option.

Dang! Wait I am that Grandpa!

Attachments

• 260vs270.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Alliant Powder.RL26..270Win.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.