Bought a .270 Today

My first deer rifle was a post 64 in .270. That was in the early 80s. All the hunters I looked up to recommended it. 40 plus years later, with more hunting experience and funds for a multitude of guns, I find myself grabbing a custom M70 in .270 more than any other cartridge. Literally, everything I have ever pointed that rifle at has died. I have shot jack rabbits, coyotes, mule deer, antelope, elk, and even a Shiraz moose with it. Sure debating cartridges around a campfire is part of the fun and nowadays, I'm sure their are far better specialized cartrdiges, but I have a sentimental feeling towards the .270 and it has proven itself to me over the decades. I have had two separate Wyoming guides ask me point blank, what I was hunting with. When I replied, " Model 70 in .270", both pretty much said the same thing. "Can't argue with that combo."
That's funny , I hunt with a Winchester 70 circa 1978. When I hunted in Wyoming my guide picked up my rifle and said great choice!

I've had a total of four 270 Winchester rifles in my life. First rifle I bought was a 700 BDL. Sold it looking for something new and shiny. Second one was a BAR. Soft shooter and plenty accurate for me. My little brother has it now. Third one was a Ruger M77 MKII. Sold it to buy my wife's engagement ring (VERY smart move on my part).

The only 270 Win I own now is a left hand Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic that my wife bought me in 1997.

She listened to me talk about guns for two years before taking all of that info to our local gun shop and telling them what I REALLY wanted. The LH stainless had just come out of the New Haven plant and she bought me one for Christmas. But she couldn't wait the 4 months till Christmas and gave it to me that night.

I was almost saddened to see the name on the box was Winchester because, being left handed, Winchester had never made the Model 70 in LH. I WAS WRONG!!! That rifle is my most prized firearm. And it is accurate to boot (.75"-1.0" groups at 200 yds.)

When it's time to get brown on the ground, the 270 gets it done!

Enjoy you new stick!

Hi , Yes I own three rifles in 270 Win, and a Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag . My Favorite Go to Deer Rifle happens to be a Weatherby Ultralight, which has a 24 inch S/S Fluted Barrel , in 270 Win , with a Leupold Vari X 3 4.5X to 14 X scope ( 30mm Tube ) . I have had years of excellent results using 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips, in light Win cases ,matched for case weight, , using H 4831, and Win LR Primers. I own several .30 cal Rifles as well, but for me ,a light accurate bolt action rifle , chambered in 270 Win is The Classic Deer Rifle. PS I had the stocked Hydro Graphic Dipped and made Snow Camo, Just because I cant leave stuff alone!! Good luck with yours Buddy !!!

Attachments

• IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th  2019.JPG
    IMG_2569Weathwrby Ultralight Pic 1 Dec 24th 2019.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2721.JPG
    IMG_2721.JPG
    987.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi , Yes I own three rifles in 270 Win, and a Weatherby Mark V in 270 Weatherby Mag . My Favorite Go to Deer Rifle happens to be a Weatherby Ultralight, which has a 24 inch S/S Fluted Barrel , in 270 Win , with a Leupold Vari X 3 4.5X to 14 X scope ( 30mm Tube ) . I have had years of excellent results using 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tips, in light Win cases ,matched for case weight, , using H 4831, and Win LR Primers. I own several .30 cal Rifles as well, but for me ,a light accurate bolt action rifle , chambered in 270 Win is The Classic Deer Rifle. PS I had the stocked Hydro Graphic Dipped and made Snow Camo, Just because I cant leave stuff alone!! Good luck with yours Buddy !!!
I bought an Ultralightweight right after they came out in .280. It just would not shoot. Re-barreled to 6.5x284, now shot out. It's going to be a straight .270, cut-rifled with a 1 in 8.5 twist. Can't wait till it's done!

Yep, going way back the .270 was marketed with many of the same ideas that we hear about the 6.5 CM today - mild recoil, better ballistics than it's daddy, the good old '06. Frequently recommended for recoil-shy shooters, especially once the magnum craze began in the 60's. All for good reason - it is still one of the better all-around cartridges available. No coincidence that it has kept on rolling for almost a hundred years now.

Honestly its one you'd have a hard time saying anything bad about. If there is a drawback it's that the 150 cannot pack the punch of a heavier pill, but to make that argument stick you have to talk about heavier bullets and magnum cartridges. Apples and oranges! That said you are spot on when comparing it to the 6.5 CM - Hard to call the Creed a true elk caliber but the 270 has a solid record on them provided the shooter does his part. Not saying a Creed cannot kill elk, just saying a pocket knife isn't the best choice for a swordfight. The 270's record on game speaks for itself.

Neither should be a first choice if anything much bigger or meaner than elk is on the docket, so let's leave that out of the discussion.

Will you be reloading for your .270?
Great quote on sword fighting! On the flip side, one doesn't bring a sword on an elk hunt. 😄

I am left handed so the options were limited. I really liked the looks of the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon McMillan, but they are very, very limited production. I have actually never seen one in person. I decided that money was no option and had one built. Browning X-Bolt action, .277 24" Bartlein #3 barrel @ 24", McMillan Game Scout stock, Timney trigger, Leupold VX5HD 3-18 x 56 scope. I even had the entire rifle Ceracoted in burnt bronze. The only thing I lack is getting the stock dipped in ATAC-AU camo.

By the way, it shoots really good with ELD-X 145 grain bullets.
Excellent build to remain being a Browning Boy. 👍 What twist in your Bartlein barrel?

All Great stuff from all us .270 Boys. 1925 was a very long time ago. The 270 Win we all shoot represented a great improvement over what was mostly available at the time. I can see why Roy Weatherby's very first magnum experiment was to build a 270 Weatherby Mag , and capitalize on the success of the 270 Win. It just works so well, at reasonable ranges, on White tail Deer , Mule Deer and Antelope, among others. Speaking for myself, 400 yards would be my personal MAX Limit , wind conditions permitting, with my 270 Win. I'm Most comfortable at 100 to 200 yards now at age 72. HOWEVER , I did build a 270 Win, Custom Heavy Hart 28 inch barrel with an 8 twist , Custom Long throat , to get into the 1000 yard shooting game. First tests at 300 yards produced really excellent (1 inch ) 3 shot groups I expect to terrorize the 6.5 Creedmoor guys , just for fun and Its all just for fun!!

There is something almost majestic like about the 270 Win. I think Jack O'Connor has had a lot to do with it. Granted my Tikka T3 Lite SS Lefthand rifle is a far departure from what JOC carried to Alaska in pursuit of those Dall and Stone Sheep, and Caribou, or while in Arizona in pursuit of Desert Mule Deer and Desert Bighorn Rams.

That said, if you are a reloader, there is a lot to be said for the 7mm Rem Mag.
If a 139gr does not work out, there is the 140gr.
If a 140gr does not work out, there is the 145gr.
If a 145gr does not work out, there is the 150gr.
If a 150gr does not work out, there is the 154gr.
It a 154gr does not work out... well you-all get the idea.

If you look at the current 6.5mm craze, there is a plethora of bullet options, some are crap (i.e. the 6.5mm 129gr LRAB), while the Berger 140 VLDH with a G1 BC of 0.600 cannot be ignored.

I believe the 270 cal has largely been underserved by the reloading components industry. Even though new and very exciting bullet options are emerging.

This year I carried my 260 AI with 140gr Berger's loaded to 2936 fps until my arm got tired (10.5 lbs), and then switched to my Tikka T3 Lite with 130gr Sierra SBT's loaded to 2940 fps.

The difference in the 2 reloads is a compressed load of IMR-4451 out of a 26" bbl in the 260AI. The 270 is a standard load of H-4831 out of a 22" bbl. I find it interesting, that as my hunt wore on, and I was wearing out, I went back to my trusted 270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts