Bought a .270 Today

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
Id take the 270 all day every day. Good choice.

My dad acquired one in 1949 the year I was born in a barter with his barber. A Mauser 98 with 10 twist. I got it when he passed. I found out it was a 150gr gun. When I started reloading I got it to shoot 130s. Every year I carry it 1 day during the season to hunt with him. There is a lot more thinking than hunting In the stand.

My Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win has ALWAYS been my go-to rifle for Mule Deer Hunting. I shot the 130 gr Sierra SBT GK. To date my longest shot has been 390 yds. I would not hesitate to go to 500 yds.
For Dark Timber Elk hunting were shots are limited to 10 to 150 yds, I load the Nosler 160gr Semi-Spitzer PT @ 2700 fps.

Jack OConnors favorite caliber - for those of you who are old enough to know who he was. He kinda brought that caliber to the forefront of American hunting scene. That was his favorite sheep hunting rifle, and he killed a whole lot of other critters with it. I don't own one but just about everyone my age does that still hunts and they continue to hunt everything from antelope to elk as well as medium size plains game in Africa. I guess " If it aint broke dont fix it"

My first deer rifle was a pre-accutrigger Savage model 110 in .270 and then got a Browning BLR in .270 for my high school graduation. Those 2 will never leave the family as far as I'm concerned. Plan on passing them down to the kids one day. I've put a whole lot of meat in the freezer with 130 gr Win Ballistic Silvertips.

I never did understand why the .270 was designed to shoot at magnum pressures compared to all other non magnum calibers that I know about ( not many :) ) It almost seems like cheating. Take a look at the pressure charts and you will see what I mean. But it does help to explain the over-achieving performance

Had several over the years, current one is a Winchester 70 extreme weather. Shoots great. I've used the .270 Win successfully up through moose in NA and on larger African plains game. It's a great round. As others have mentioned I grew up on Jack O'Connor, but from my experience he didn't exaggerate the .270!

Have a first generation Sendero in 270 win and I really like it

Back in the very long stretch of owning only one deer rifle, that was my gun. It accounted for more deer than I can remember. Not pretty, but that thing had mojo. It has since has gotten a new H & S long range stock and Bartlein #4 in 6.5x284 along with other bells and whistles.

No 270 in the safe these days, but kinda been looking for one to fall in my lap soon.

If had to use a single caliber for North America I'd go with a .270 or a suppressed .300 Win Mag. Both have enough gas for elk and the occasional bear or moose. Both are fun to shoot and both have outstanding brass & bullet availability.

If African plains game or cats are in the cards I'd tend to favor something in .300, but in reality there's darn little a .270 wouldn't be able to handle.

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
Yep, going way back the .270 was marketed with many of the same ideas that we hear about the 6.5 CM today - mild recoil, better ballistics than it's daddy, the good old '06. Frequently recommended for recoil-shy shooters, especially once the magnum craze began in the 60's. All for good reason - it is still one of the better all-around cartridges available. No coincidence that it has kept on rolling for almost a hundred years now.

Honestly its one you'd have a hard time saying anything bad about. If there is a drawback it's that the 150 cannot pack the punch of a heavier pill, but to make that argument stick you have to talk about heavier bullets and magnum cartridges. Apples and oranges! That said you are spot on when comparing it to the 6.5 CM - Hard to call the Creed a true elk caliber but the 270 has a solid record on them provided the shooter does his part. Not saying a Creed cannot kill elk, just saying a pocket knife isn't the best choice for a swordfight. The 270's record on game speaks for itself.

Neither should be a first choice if anything much bigger or meaner than elk is on the docket, so let's leave that out of the discussion.

Will you be reloading for your .270?

My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 ADL .270 with 3x9 Redfield Widefield. Had it 5 years and it was a good shooter. .270 great cartridge.
Very good ballistics, plenty of factory ammo, tried and proven with variety of game, mild recoil, etc. Will be very surprised if that Tikka doesn't produce well below MOA. May have to adjust trigger but you have a heck of a setup with your rifle. All needed is excellent optics. Good luck and enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.