Bought a .270 Today

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
I have 5 one is a54, one is a custom dean Miller single shot 28 inch tube, rest arem70's , can't have too much of a good thing..

I did the same analysis (270win vs. 6.5cm) a couple years ago and it was an easy choice to go with the 270 for my hunting. If I was ever in need to reach out to where the 6.5 out paces the 270, I'd be shooting my 7STW, 300wby or 340wby. If I had ready access to long range shooting area (my front yard range only extends to 363), I'd consider one of the 6.5s. FWIW, my favorite cartridge these day for deer is a 270wsm shooting 140 accubonds. For my farm where shots average in the 225-360 range, I still find myself drawn to the wsm even though I've seen what 130s at 3100fps due at those modest ranges.

I have a Model 70 Winchester Super Grade in .270 Winchester (circa 1999), and while its a 1.5" group rifle, my dad, son, and I have killed deer with it. More recently, I bought a Cooper Model 52 in .270 Winchester (circa 2017), and it shoots factory loads into one-hole groups.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
Recent convert here. I held on to my 30-06 for way too long. My specific rifle was not consistent regarding accuracy, and 30-06 has alittle more recoil than I thought was condusive to shooting accurately. When I finally had enough and was confident the rifle was the problem and not me, I sold it and did my research. 270 seemed to be the best fit for me (280ai probably a little better, but ammo availability was too low for my comfort), and so I bought a used Savage rifle and built my first 270. 30-06 is now dead to me, haha. Nothing wrong with it, but I like the ballistics/recoil mix of the 270 so much better.

Originally I saw the 30-06 as one rifle to do all, including hunting elk. The more I researched, I realized that's actually a bad thing, in my opinion. Too many compromises. I'd rather have 2 rifles that are better at their respective purposes. My 270 sits next a 7mmRM that patiently waits for an elk hunt incase I'm ever able to go again. Everything else the 270 does, and I enjoy the flatter ballistics and lower recoil compared to the 30-06.

Last edited:
The last one I had was in the '70s a mint pre64 sold it and regretted it one hour after I sold it, but life goes on I and never ran into another pre 64 in .270 Win as nice, so now it's near been 40 plus years and I'm sorry to say I still don't have one. If it's not a Win pre 64 .270 Win I'm just not interested... must be an old school Jack O'Conner thing. :) Good luck, with yours.

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
I have had more deer kills an drop in there tracks with the ol Remington 150 core locks than any other round or caliber on the market

Anyone else a .270 fan?
Never had a .270 but many hunters I know in Klamath Falls, Ore and other places loved them. I was more of a 30.06 fan - but also do love TIKKAS. We make some nice rifles here in the US - but hard to beat those Finns and their Tikkas - especially for the price.

I am a fan of many chamberings and .270 and its variants are up there for me. I have a .270 AI on a Savage 110 LA with 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" #6 with JP coulee MB specially built to propel 165/175 Matrix VLDs. The current accuracy load is 2993 FPS with H4831SC. Others are claiming an addtional 75-100 FPS with RL26.

View attachment 221698View attachment 221701
.270 Win 150 NBT vs .270 AI 175 Matrix
Great job on your build!!

Anyone else a .270 fan?
I combined the 2. I necked the Creedmoor case up to .277 and set the throat depth to accommodate 110 Barnes TTSX up through any boattail 130 grainer. The result, given a 25" barrel, is flatter to 500 yards than a 24" .270 Win with 130gr or heavier factory loadings. There is even less recoil than the standard .270, and a few ounces of weight are saved with the short action profile. At .277 bore, the case become ideal for burning some of the highest energy mid-burn rate range powders out there. Speed trumps BC to 500 yards unless you are shooting flat or ground-based bullets. That is my self-imposed limit for hunting. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that brass is ubiquitous in this time of scarcity. I can also use either small or large primers.

I do agree a .270 can easily be handloaded to way outperform this wildcat. Not many people use it anymore, so brass is generally universally available, also. I believe it represents the best example of speed, energy, and performance under magnum levels of performance.

I have bought and sold about 1/2 dozen 270's. Sold mostly to friends and family. Currently have a custom REM 700 with heavy barrel and it shoots great out to 1000 yards with 140 Berger hybrids, it's a bit too much recoil to shoot matches with. Second custom REM 700 has a skinny barrel and mounted in a kevlar stock. This light rifle is very accurate with Hornady 140SST in the Superformance load. Lastly a MOD 70 Classic and a MOD 70 Classic featherweight.

Last edited:
I started my long range love with a 270 sendero, it was absolutely a rock star out to 500m...but lack of high Bc projectiles drove me to the 260; but I loved that 270 and with today's technology I'd still be using one

I did the same analysis (270win vs. 6.5cm) a couple years ago and it was an easy choice to go with the 270 for my hunting. If I was ever in need to reach out to where the 6.5 out paces the 270, I'd be shooting my 7STW, 300wby or 340wby. If I had ready access to long range shooting area (my front yard range only extends to 363), I'd consider one of the 6.5s. FWIW, my favorite cartridge these day for deer is a 270wsm shooting 140 accubonds. For my farm where shots average in the 225-360 range, I still find myself drawn to the wsm even though I've seen what 130s at 3100fps due at those modest ranges.
Running my numbers the 270 140SST Superformance VS 6.5C 140 ELD
Match. The 270 140SST finally slows down to 1620fps at 950 yards while the 6.5C ELD-M just catches it at 1625fps. This comparison is done with my STRELOK pro.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.