Bought a .270 Today

The 270 has a higher than normal max pressure .... higher than 30-06 and other 30-06 derived calibers for some reason.
Higher I think even than a 7mm Rem Mag. ( they should call it the 270 magnum ) That is one reason why it performs so well in comparison. My buddy has a 270 and I have a 7mm Mag and we compared ballistics tables and for all the extra powder in the 7mm, there was just a teeny extra amount of performance. Also I remember when he was shopping for his 270 and he was considering a 25-06 also.... but we found that the 270's best configuration for long distance had a better trajectory than the best 25-06 and that surprised me. I believe for several decades .... I dont know about now but the 270 was in the top five selling ammo and rifle calibers and one reason why
the ammo was cheaper than a lot of other more powerful ammo. Economies of scale at work there.

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?

Actually a youtuber who has a channel called HuntSimple (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW-dy-2ouIHW1KqKcymIo8A) has done a comprehensive analysis of the 270 Win. You should check out his channel. Anyway he spent a year testing various loads for a number of 270 rifles and comparing them to him magnums. He calls it "Project 270". One of his enlightening conclusions (for my anyway) is that the 24 inch barrel does not offer any significant advantages compared to the 22 inch barrel for a 270 win. There just isn't enough powder capacity to take full advantage of the extra two inches of barrel length. I am a big fan of the 270 win rifle also but I admit I still prefer the 24 inch barrels even though I own some with a 22 inch barrel also.

I have several. M77 Mk1 Slick smooth and accurate with wonderful deep bluing. First Christmas present from my wife 40 years ago! TC Pro Hunter and a M700 Mountain rifle with DBM. Why? Well why not. Plus they are bookended by a 6.5 and a 280Rem. All of them have killed deer but frankly I mainly use my TC PH in 300WM these days. It seems each year I am in a different caliber/rifle mood.

G1 Sendero .270? Jealous!!!!!!!!!!! I'd be thinking new barrel 1:8, 26 or 28" to toss heavyweights on that platform! I am still shooting my Savage 110C .270 I bought when I was 18....52 years ago! Ok do the math for my age😂. Still shoots even with new Shaw barrel.
I have a Rem. 700 with a 22 inch barrel and I'm still getting 3,100 fps with a 130 grain bullet. How hard is it to replace with a 24 or 26 in her ?

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
How could anyone not be a fan of the tried and true 270 win. The original flat shooting light recoiling powerhouse. I have said many times that with the cartridges already offered and the 270 being one of them, I have no idea how a market ever developed for the Creedmoor stuff. No clue. Just a marketing campaign I guess .
You will enjoy that thing for years and years. I still have two of them both identical. I shoot the boat tail 140s from Hornady and I love the way they perform.
ENJOY !

I own a Winchester m70 classic stainless boss...amazing gun...ragged holes with many different factory ammo.works smooth and reliable every time I cycle the bolt...no matter what...which is more than I can say for a lot of other factory guns...one of my all time favorite...I have a kimber hunter that is pretty sweet too...

Yup. Love mine.
In recent history I decided I will not add anything new to my safe without selling something out of it. I really want a new bolt gun in 6mm creedmore. BUT, that might mean replacing my Tikka T3 and that's simply never going to happen. New guns will have to wait on a new safe. The .270 is going nowhere.

Attachments

• 20201027_142731.jpg
    20201027_142731.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 158
I own a Winchester m70 classic stainless boss...amazing gun...ragged holes with many different factory ammo.works smooth and reliable every time I cycle the bolt...no matter what...which is more than I can say for a lot of other factory guns...one of my all time favorite...I have a kimber hunter that is pretty sweet too...
In 270 Winchester...great cartridge...would like to see mor heavier projectiles...but I have done a lot with 130gr sst

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts