Bought a .270 Today

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
I've always like the cartridge and bullet but never had it in a rifle I liked. If that makes any sense! I decided to try it out again but went with a 270wsm we'll see how I like it in a few weeks on deer. Got 50 Sierra 130 grain gamekings ready to get dirty!!!

The 270 always treated me right despite the hate. I showed my uncle my new 270 win in the Remington 760 and he told me what do you want that for? The bullets blow up on the first twig or blade of grass ! He look at the rifle with disgust. Since then I have own double digit 270's in win and win mag ! All I can say is the kill , 130's 140's 150's all strike like the hammer of Thor. Try as I might I could not get my Winchester 70 to group 130's back in the early 80's. I loaded some 150 Sierra game kings and bam I one hole grouping at 100 yards. I found that at range it was shooting flat out past 500 yards and a end to end shot on a Big Muley at 400+ proved it was up to the penetration test as well. No matter what comes out (and I'm right there buying in ) I still find myself carrying a 270 win in the field. Even the cartridge looks cool! Lol

I've always been a fan of the .270 but haven't owned one in years. I've been piddling around my Hornady Ballistic app and comparing the .270 vs my 6.5 Creedmoor. One thing I've always liked about the .270 is how much performance it delivers for a semi mild recoil. I like the numbers a little better than the 6.5 CM. Plus the Tikka T3x Forest was being sold at cost so I got a deal. I also like the Tikka has a 22" barrel so good for the box blind and tree stand.

Anyone else a .270 fan?

I am a fan of many chamberings and .270 and its variants are up there for me. I have a .270 AI on a Savage 110 LA with 30" Lilja 3G 1:8" #6 with JP coulee MB specially built to propel 165/175 Matrix VLDs. The current accuracy load is 2993 FPS with H4831SC. Others are claiming an addtional 75-100 FPS with RL26.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg
175 Matrix vs 150 NAB.jpg

.270 Win 150 NBT vs .270 AI 175 Matrix

Lots of hate for the ol .270, never could figure out why.

Me either. "Hate" applied to a rifle cartridge? Who knows? I figure in every generation you have loud mouth creodonts that have to have something to hate. With the internet they are rude and crude and say things that if they were at a public range would get them ejected. Where I shoot in South Carolina a lot of guys have and like a certain rifle cartridge. Now if some schmuck showed up and just started with "I hate your cartridge" it would not work out so well for them.

Built a 270 last winter and worked up loads with 115gr Speer (Actually a Fusion) bullet. It done good!

Congrats. A Tikka T3x in 270 is an excellent rifle, period. They got the recoil pad right which was the singular flaw of the T3 Lite. I should've taken stock in Beretta/Tikka because I own 5 of their firesticks 270, 270wsm, 300wsm (this year's cow elk killer), .308 and 338wm.

The Model 721 (long action) and 722 (short action) were the precursors to the Model 700. I think the 700 came out around 1962 or so. I think the 721s and 722s were pretty popular with wildcatters due to the bulletproof actions.

My first rifle, given to me, was a 1950 model 722 in .257Bob with 24" barrel and sporting an old Weaver K4! Still shoots the lights out with anything 117-120gn.

The Nosler 150 ABLR shoots incredibly well out of my 24" tube with RL26 pixie dust at 3150 which is no slouch with that bullet weight and BC. I'd be curious to see what same bullet out of longer barrel would do allowing the RL26 to "cook" a bit more! Oh wait, it is named CM so why even think about it.

I have an old CZ BRNO Model 600 .270 that looks like it just came out of the box.

Back in the early 90's we represented Action Arms out of Philadelphia and they were the importers of CZ and IMI the makers of Uzi's.

Anyone else a .270 fan?
My 1st rifle. Still have it 60 years later and use it often. Great all around caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.