Bought a .270 Today

Here's my Remington 721, .270 Win, made in 1951. It shoots sub .500 MOA, and it's taken a few critters for my dad. Setting it up for my grandkids to use now, it is a 4th generation family rifle. I just replaced the 70 year-old factory rubber recoil pad with a Limbsaver. The original pad was pretty much like concrete!

Attachments

• 09B1BB01-97FE-4CF8-AE09-39A77B1298E1.jpeg
    09B1BB01-97FE-4CF8-AE09-39A77B1298E1.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
My brother has one not sure it's that old but shoots lights out and he killed a load of deer with it from 30 yards to 300 bang flops on every one
The Model 721 (long action) and 722 (short action) were the precursors to the Model 700. I think the 700 came out around 1962 or so. I think the 721s and 722s were pretty popular with wildcatters due to the bulletproof actions.

Lots of hate for the ol .270, never could figure out why. That's the only hunting rifle I owned until I was 25. 130 core-lokt killed everything I hit with it. 3-9 Tasco. Grampa said " sight it in at 25, and it'll be on at 275"
Used a foot step for a range finder......worked just fine then back then. That and the 30-06 fed a lot families, the .270 always kept the freezer full. 400 was a bit of a poke back then, just a chip shot now.
I should get her back out, i bet she can ring steel at 1000 with the right load and scope........thanks for the thread.....I kinda forgot about the old girl.

Some cartridges in the modern firearms world have been over hyped & over popularised through modern media exposure but there is nothing failing in the older sporting cartridges other than the fact they dont suit the "cool" new kids on the block attitude.

End of the day cartridges like the 270W, .243W .22/250REM still rock & are still heavily used in the everyday hunting world.

If you seperate military cartridges from sporting I think the 3 above would still be the 3 most popular cartridges in the world???

And with all the hype of the new high performance cartridges, if you revisit the 270 with the newer powders it still out-shines most of the new stuff. I have a Mark V Big Game Master on the way in the 270 win to match the 270 roy in the same model. I love the Wby version, but the Winnie is just more enjoyable to shoot and kills stuff every bit as dead.

And with all the hype of the new high performance cartridges, if you revisit the 270 with the newer powders it still out-shines most of the new stuff. I have a Mark V Big Game Master on the way in the 270 win to match the 270 roy in the same model. I love the Wby version, but the Winnie is just more enjoyable to shoot and kills stuff every bit as dead.
I agree 100% but if it don't say NeedNoor its not fancy enough, Don't get me wrong the NeedMoor is a fine round but you are correct "Hype" is the word

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.