Bottom loading vs top loading BDL

808caliber

Would be nice to be able to use a cfe-9 style box so that coal isnt an issue with my 300prc upcoming build. It would also be nice to have that centerfeed for easier feeding.

If i go with the wyatt prc box i was gonna order up an anti x or ruckus GA hunter.

But that new vampire action by bat looks slick! But with the 4" box i understand you have to bottom load.

Anyone with experience bottom loading vs top loading? Pros and cons. Which one u prefer and why. Mahalo!

Why not just use the CFE- 12 I cant imagine the 3.8 box not being plenty long for the PRC

Why not just use the CFE- 12 I cant imagine the 3.8 box not being plenty long for the PRC

Yaa thats always an option too. Was also considering a kratos lite.

But either way, still has the question of if bottom loading has been an issue for anyone. Since top loading isnt reccomended for the centerfeed

I Always bottom load.

It's stupid easy, way faster, less clumsy idk I just don't personally see any reason to top load a bdl. The BAT vampire looks super cool.

I Always bottom load.

It's stupid easy, way faster, less clumsy idk I just don't personally see any reason to top load a bdl. The BAT vampire looks super cool.

Thanks for the feedback. Have never bottom loaded so its always great to hear others experiences.

In my case I preffer top load for the simple reason I shoot offhand most of the time and the magazine makes that very uncomfortable.

If all you shoot is of a bipod or bench then I'd go with bottom loading.

Stay safe

In my case I preffer top load for the simple reason I shoot offhand most of the time and the magazine makes that very uncomfortable.

Stay safe

That makes sense. I guess maybe having a side quiver might help for an extra round if im stuck bottom loading.

Stay safe
Can you explain this further? I'm having a hard time understanding. What do you mean the magazine makes that uncomfortable?

Yaa thats always an option too. Was also considering a kratos lite.

But either way, still has the question of if bottom loading has been an issue for anyone. Since top loading isnt reccomended for the centerfeed
Where did you read top loading is not recommended for center feed? I do it all the time and have not experienced any abnormalities. Just saying.

Where did you read top loading is not recommended for center feed? I do it all the time and have not experienced any abnormalities. Just saying.

From multiple gunsmiths and user reports. Due to the fact that you would have to shove the cartridge thru the feed lips and can possibly open them up larger than intended over time.

But alex wheeler as well stated it is possible to top load the cfe9. So guess its always good to know ill have multiple options.

Thanks for the help and insight!

Can you explain this further? I'm having a hard time understanding. What do you mean the magazine makes that uncomfortable?

Sure Ranger, I shoot silhouette competition which you shoot offhand and I place my left hand right under and in front of the trigger guard, having a magazine stick out in any way makes it very unconfortable for me to hold the rifle. Competition rifle is always single loading so never had a need for a magazine either. I actually sold a Marlin 22 LR that used a magazine that stuck out quite a bit and got a 10/22 instead, on the 10/22 the magazine goes all the way in so problem solved there.

I hold my hunting rifles the same way, and I also dont see an issue when top loading a bdl or adl.

Stay safe

Sure Ranger, I shoot silhouette competition which you shoot offhand and I place my left hand right under and in front of the trigger guard, having a magazine stick out in any way makes it very unconfortable for me to hold the rifle. Competition rifle is always single loading so never had a need for a magazine either. I actually sold a Marlin 22 LR that used a magazine that stuck out quite a bit and got a 10/22 instead, on the 10/22 the magazine goes all the way in so problem solved there.

I hold my hunting rifles the same way, and I also dont see an issue when top loading a bdl or adl.

Stay safe
I would understand that, for sure. But we are still talking about a bdl, just loading it from the bottom. Not a detachable magazine

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.