borron load adjustments?

I was never satisfied that I was properly coating the bullets with HBN. I used the tumbler method, but it never came out as nice as photos I saw in articles about HBN.
It is a gunsmith that told/showed me about the hbn. He would pull them right out of the vibratory & load them. I've done both..... right out of the vibratory & have also dumped them into a towel & shake back & forth, good results either way

I've been using hBN since it became available and at that time there was but one source. I think it was the spring of '13. Then there were many different ways of applying hBN to bullets and barrels with equal differing results. I'm uncomfortable second-handing others reports so I'll give my experiences only. I use a clear plastic relish jar half filled with corn media with a teaspoon of hBN powder (first use only, thereafter .25 that amount each batch). My usual load is 25 338 256-285 gr solids or the same number of 270 bullets (only to simplify as more could be added). Usually I run two jars as that seems to balance out the tumbler. I then tumble for a minimum of two hours and have gone as long as five hours; seems to make little difference after the initial two. Remove, inspect, and rack these processed projectiles. They are ready to load. I do not polish them.
The barrel treatment is different. I use 99% isopropyl alcohol (16 oz.) to 1/8 cup of hBN. With a new barrel I'll fire 18-21 rounds before treating. THOROUGHLY CLEAN, then run a soaked swab or patch through six times. Because it's convenient I let the barrel "cure" overnight after removing any excess from the brake or chamber/action leak. I make every effort to keep the chamber hBN free.
First group (three rounds) indicate higher pressure (bolt cycle), but reduced velocity. Those traits disappear within the following two groups. After that I experience no cold shots. I couldn't say if velocity is increased or decreased as I haven't shot either bullets or barrels minus the hBN treatment since mid '13. Cleaning is generally easier and never harder; patch residue changes with powder/bullet changes as expected. Accuracy has improved, but I think that's me and I cannot verify specific results isolated from non-use of hBN. I doubt I'll ever use untreated bullets and barrels again.
This keyboard is both skipping and doubling so my apologies if there's any typos I missed correcting.
Here's some photos that may help:

Attachments

• IMG_7557.JPG
    IMG_7557.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7559.JPG
    IMG_7559.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7561.JPG
    IMG_7561.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I was never satisfied that I was properly coating the bullets with HBN. I used the tumbler method, but it never came out as nice as photos I saw in articles about HBN.
I think you can get your bullets custom coated by Superior Shooting Solutions, David Tubb . Their number is 806-323 9488. Call and see if they still do custom coating

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts