borron load adjustments?

Doc's Forge

I have a new 6.5 PRC rifle on the way and gave been kicking around the idea of trying an HBN coating on the barrel and bullets. My question regarding borron and the required load adjustments is would it be better to increase the charge of the same powder or to change to a slightly faster powder altogether? Also is there any charts or printed load recommendations for reliading with borron coatings since friction and pressure deviates so much from a standard load?

I use hbn on practically all my rifles. I normally use bare bullets in fully formed brass to do my load workup and find seating depth. Then use hbn coated bullets and barrels, I adjust my final charge weight to stay in my accuracy node.

I use hbn on practically all my rifles. I normally use bare bullets in fully formed brass to do my load workup and find seating depth. Then use hbn coated bullets and barrels, I adjust my final charge weight to stay in my accuracy node.
So you are simply increasing the powder charge but maintain the same type of powder?

I would suggest getting the barrel round count up to 150-200, stable velocity, prior to using HBN. Makes it easier to match the velocity node.

Not the most experienced at loading hot. It just seemed like it might be better to change to a faster powder than compress a slower powder to make up the difference

What compression?? You are dealing with 1/2 to 1-1/2 grain maximum to regain speed after you use HBN. I hardly ever have to increase charge more than 3/4 gr of powder to get back to accuracy node.

A new barrel will usually increase in velocity until it stabilizes. Can be 75, or 100, or 150, or occasionally 200 rounds fired. You can use this time to do a barrel break-in, forming brass and initial seating depth & pressure testing. Then you can concentrate on load work-up. There is no reason to use one powder to develop a load, then change powder to use hexagonal-boron- nitrate. Pick a proven powder for your PRC. If you get a good load with bare bullets, it will work with HBN.

Last edited:
Depends on your cartridge and barrel to a degree. I've never got to 2 grains in my large Magnums. I went up .6 gr in my 6.5 Sherman Short Mag, a similar cartridge to yours.

I have used hbn on 6 different guns. On 1 rem 7 mag, using hbn increased the velocities about the same as it's usual decrease. Our 2 7 mags are only 2 serial #s apart, but about 2 grains different in their loads. This rifle did shoot a 3 shot group of .088" at 100yd. Better to start a little low & work up.

I tried HBN in a 6.5 Creedmoor for a while, but decided it was more work than was justified by the results. My main concern was application of the HBN to the bullets: it always came out lumpy and uneven on the copper bullet.

Oh, and I generally discovered I could get the same velocity as non-HBN coated bullets by increasing the load (same powder type) somewhere around a grain or two. Don't rely on that as an accurate guide for your own load or rifle -- that was my experience.

What was explained to me, the advantage of using hbn was longer barrel life, cold shot is more in-line with following shots, barrel cleaning is also easier.
Velocity drops "normally" because the bullet is pushed easier thru the barrel with hbn. Less pressure created. For me, i have shot my best groupings by using hbn.

I was never satisfied that I was properly coating the bullets with HBN. I used the tumbler method, but it never came out as nice as photos I saw in articles about HBN.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.