Boresight Question Research, I need your Help participate!!!!

Is boresight important?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
It requires that the rifle be held very still while tracking the turrets from point of aim to point of impact.
I use a bowling ball sawed in half with a machinist's vice mounted on the flat surface. It sits inside a large ring of PVC pipe so it can be positioned at any desired angle, but won't move while turning the knobs.

This is one that is similar:

I am creating an app that will use a smartphone to determine boresight. It will work on a scoped rifle, tactical optics and hunting/sniping scopes. It allows the user to do three things, bore scope in reference to the rifle chamber and store chamber location, record the sight setting after the rifle is zeroed and recall the sight setting and verify the setting using the rifle chamber. This means that you can check the zero any time you want or suspect that the sight setting has been disturbed.

Please participate in the survey. If there are other questions for a survey or about what I am doing please ask away. Thanks
I would welcome the opportunity to be a beta tester. I have a lot different calibers and scopes that this TOOL might be very helpful.

The app does much the same, and it also records the zero as an offset from the intersect of the line of sight and the line of bore.
As you get close to being ready to at least beta test this app you need to get a hold of Len. He can help you a lot in final testing and marketing it.

The ratio of readers to posters on this forum is probably close to 100:1 which makes it a fantastic resource not only for those looking for information but for those marketing things that the LR crowd or rifle hunting crowd period can use.

I use a bowling ball sawed in half with a machinist's vice mounted on the flat surface. It sits inside a large ring of PVC pipe so it can be positioned at any desired angle, but won't move while turning the knobs.

This is one that is similar:
Neat idea. I can also see something similar being a great setup for zeroing big boomers from the bench. Just set the ball in "no spill" dog food bowl.

I can also see something similar being a great setup for zeroing big boomers from the bench.
I don't like to actually shoot the guns in the vice because the harmonics can change once you take it out.

It's the best thing I've found for mounting scopes and slings studs and bore sighting though.

I don't like to actually shoot the guns in the vice because the harmonics can change once you take it out.

It's the best thing I've found for mounting scopes and slings studs and bore sighting though.
I can see that but for a guy that does a lot of it for customers it seems to me it would be a great way to get real close and take all of the recoil out.

I know smiths that may have to mount 50 scopes a day and sight them in for customers just before and during deer season for whom it could be a real shoulder saver.

I think I'd rather use something like than than a lead sled for such purposes and for things like load development where you have to do a lot of high volume shooting.

Even for a guy like me there are days I may shoot 50-100 rounds of 7mm STW, 300wm, 300 Rum or even larger in one trip to the range testing loads.

I can just see that type of setup having a lot of utility above and beyond just mounting scopes so I appreciate you posting it.

For my beta testers, it will be unique as they will get the package for $55 instead of retail of $85. The testers will also get a free subscription for three years that will retail for 60 per year. The subscription allows the recording of 12 rifles per year for a total of 36 plus the 5 that are mentioned below. Beta testers will get all upgrades first and any additional advances made during the three years.

The app does much the same, and it also records the zero as an offset from the intersect of the line of sight and the line of bore.
I wish you the best getting it done and in the app stores.

Let us know when it's ready.

I am creating an app that will use a smartphone to determine boresight. It will work on a scoped rifle, tactical optics and hunting/sniping scopes. It allows the user to do three things, bore scope in reference to the rifle chamber and store chamber location, record the sight setting after the rifle is zeroed and recall the sight setting and verify the setting using the rifle chamber. This means that you can check the zero any time you want or suspect that the sight setting has been disturbed.

Please participate in the survey. If there are other questions for a survey or about what I am doing please ask away. Thanks
I believe I voted yes the other day and told you I would welcome the opportunity to be a beta tester. By the way - I was with 1stBn 20th FA from 1980 to 1983 at Ft Carson. Red Leg

Sounds very cool. What will the cost be?

I bore sight like they did in the old country. Look down the barrel and line the cross hairs up on the barrel aim point. Some days are good some days not so good.

Steve

this is the method I use most. I have bore lasers which I don't care for, they just seem to be a waste of time.

This should be the app to use before the computation by ballistic apps. The finding of the chamber as a departure point and the true height between the center of scope and center of the bore would be good data for any ballistic app.
Samtello, Man I'm in for the Beta testing! To provide the info for the ballistics, eliminate cant, and get me on paper at 100yds. the easy way, I dig it!
Would there be some usable info, taking a can off and on, if it affected the poi?

I believe I voted yes the other day and told you I would welcome the opportunity to be a beta tester. By the way - I was with 1stBn 20th FA from 1980 to 1983 at Ft Carson. Red Leg
Redleg to Redleg, This is a registration with a current and subsequent MET thrown in. And the guns with the boresighting on the witness marks and m140 alignment device.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.