Boresight Question Research, I need your Help participate!!!!

Is boresight important?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
I am creating an app that will use a smartphone to determine boresight. It will work on a scoped rifle, tactical optics and hunting/sniping scopes. It allows the user to do three things, bore scope in reference to the rifle chamber and store chamber location, record the sight setting after the rifle is zeroed and recall the sight setting and verify the setting using the rifle chamber. This means that you can check the zero any time you want or suspect that the sight setting has been disturbed.

Please participate in the survey. If there are other questions for a survey or about what I am doing please ask away. Thanks
Important yes, necessary, no.

You can get on paper at 25yds and then zero at 100 pretty easily. I've only ever had one scope so out of whack it couldn't be done in a couple of shots.

At the price of ammo, particularly factory ammo in the medium and large bores that adds up if you are mounting lots of scopes or swapping lots of scopes around but for the average guy it's not that big of a deal.

No doubt though if you can come up with a good workable app and make it available cheaply enough it will be very useful, helpful, and successful. Good boresighting gadgets and gizmo's are rather expensive. Even the collimator type can easily run upwards of 75.00 so if you can come up with an app that does the job around 10.00 or so it will take off like a fire in a 50mph wind.

As a gunsmith mounting optics all the time I'd be on this like a tall dog if it was an improvement over looking down the bore and matching the cross hairs.

Is there a way level could be incorporated so a guy can get the cross hairs level, lock it down then bore sight?

[QU
As a gunsmith mounting optics all the time I'd be on this like a tall dog if it was an improvement over looking down the bore and matching the cross hairs.

Is there a way level could be incorporated so a guy can get the cross hairs level, lock it down then bore sight?
Yes, the app uses the gravity sensor to determine the line that runs vertically from the chamber center to the scope center. The crosshairs on the app can track vertically and can help eliminate cant.

BTW, I do have engineers working on the prototype design. The app concept is patented and is currently in development. The eyepiece mount and the chamber inserts are patent pending. I think once all is captured in CAD I could see if I can run a simulation. Thanks all for the feedback, it will help.

This should be the app to use before the computation by ballistic apps. The finding of the chamber as a departure point and the true height between the center of scope and center of the bore would be good data for any ballistic app.

I've never seen the point or felt a need for any bore sighting equipment. With a scope that tracks decently, it's going to take me 1-2 shots more than if I had bore sighted. That takes awhile to pay for another gadget.
I don't think everyone is taught this method.

It requires that the rifle be held very still while tracking the turrets from point of aim to point of impact.

I do it all the time as I "play" with scopes a lot.

Would I use such a tool. You bet.

I want the old Leupold device. I have not been able to find one.

[QU

Yes, the app uses the gravity sensor to determine the line that runs vertically from the chamber center to the scope center. The crosshairs on the app can track vertically and can help eliminate cant.
It sounds like you are essentially coming up with a collimator boresighter app for the phone. As long as you come up with a good way to mount it to the bore or a leveling mount for a table it should be a hit as long as you can do it for a reasonable price.

Interested to see what you come up with for a universal eyepiece mount and chamber insert. I designed my own universal phone mount to put on whatever scope or bino's and made a few for my friends and I.

It sounds like you are essentially coming up with a collimator boresighter app for the phone. As long as you come up with a good way to mount it to the bore or a leveling mount for a table it should be a hit as long as you can do it for a reasonable price.
I am looking into running simulations with the app, eyepiece adapter and the chamber inserts, the formulas for each leg are already determined and set up for input either by the user, from a table, or by stadia line measurement with the app doing the calculations once you locate the 20 mm strip and use the dimensions of the chamber insert to locate the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.