Borescopes

clemens

Has anyone used the borescope/endoscope that can be used with ones cell phone? What is quality like? I know there is cheap models and some better ones.

I use a Hawkeye for fine inspection, but have used a couple of the endoscope types for quick inspections at the range or in the field.

The endoscopes are getting better, but the best ones have stronger illumination and 90* adapters for side views. I had an early one, the light was so weak I had to run in white patches from muzzle end to reflect light. The last one had good light, but no 90* reflector. My son got a new one off Amazon and he loves it.

Be sure you find one with a small enough head to pass into your barrels and has the 90* adapter. Sorry I don't have any current model names for you, but Amazon is where my son found his.

I just picked up a cheap one off Fleabay to play with.....not many of them say the focal length but pay attention to it. Mine is about 1.25" in front of the camera so with the 90 adapter, its not a very clear picture, (read pretty worthless) Get as short as possible. However.....if you play with adding light from the other end, you can get fairly clear pictures for a $6.00 camera. I attached a few pictures from mine using a bore light. You have to angle the bore light and get it just right so it doesn't wash out the picture. One picture has no added light, so you can compare. By no means does it replace a real bore scope, but its cheap.....
Edit to add: As dok7mm mentioned, get the right size....a 5.5mm (smallest I found) is snug in a .22 cal barrel, without the 90 attachment.

Attachments

• 180615_220155.jpg
    180615_220155.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 180615_220356.jpg
    180615_220356.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 180615_220410.jpg
    180615_220410.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 180615_214223.jpg
    180615_214223.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I use a Hawkeye for fine inspection, but have used a couple of the endoscope types for quick inspections at the range or in the field.

The endoscopes are getting better, but the best ones have stronger illumination and 90* adapters for side views. I had an early one, the light was so weak I had to run in white patches from muzzle end to reflect light. The last one had good light, but no 90* reflector. My son got a new one off Amazon and he loves it.

Be sure you find one with a small enough head to pass into your barrels and has the 90* adapter. Sorry I don't have any current model names for you, but Amazon is where my son found his.

In my opinion, this is the best. With that said, the endoscopes also have there place. They are great for inspecting all parts of a gun and are very handy at gun shows to evaluate the condition of the firearm for value.

They don't show the bore condition as well as the Hawkeye does unless you have/get one with a 45o mirror to look 90o at the chamber and lands and grooves and they are flexible unlike the Hawkeye.

The Endoscopes work well when trying to read serial numbers on older weapons because of the zoom feature and can be setup on your bench and the part can be passed under it without holding the Endoscope.

J E CUSTOM

I have one and the photos are low res as Ckg mentioned and posted. I have used mine to see corrosion and pitting in old barrels along with checking new chambering jobs. The 90 attachment is crap as the focal distance is much too large. For checking chambers, twisting and bending it around will get an adequate image to identify any scratches/anomalies. I have done several tests with chamber castings and chamber cross sections to verify that the camera is catching everything. Yes, it is good enough for the hobbyist.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.