Borescope Pictures & Question

It certainly makes sense to me that these marks had to have been caused by tool steel. If it doesn't shoot well, I may contact Barrett to show them the pictures and see what they think.

It's really just two of the lands at 3 o'clock that have the significant gouging. The other lands look good. I think there may be a little lint or reflection from the light in my photos that make the other lands look nicked.

If it still shoots well, it's not something that will bother me.
Aleast in the grove, not on the lands. Would think if accuracy is good, it will get better with wear, but think it may copper foul there pretty fast

I'm betting Barrett will help you if it doesn't shoot. If not there's a guy on rokslide that was swapping barrels using lilja #2 I believe. You could always turn it into a 9 twist 270. If it shoots well then i guess it doesn't matter…

I'm betting Barrett will help you if it doesn't shoot. If not there's a guy on rokslide that was swapping barrels using lilja #2 I believe. You could always turn it into a 9 twist 270. If it shoots well then i guess it doesn't matter…
Thanks for the reply.

I did read about the guy who re-barreled to a #2 Lilja.

It's an option but would get pretty spendy.

Update -

I contacted Barrett CS and sent over the pictures. They sent me a prepaid label to RMA the rifle and have looked it over.

Their staff gunsmiths are saying it was the pilot reamer that was used on the barrel that left the chatter marks.

At this point they want to shoot it with a couple of different factory ammos they use to see how it groups, and then get back to me with options.

From speaking with their CS, I don't believe that they have a bunch of spare FC parts lying around to take care of issues like this. I am not sure what the options for rebarreling the action may be.

I will let you guys know how things play out.

Update -

I contacted Barrett CS and sent over the pictures. They sent me a prepaid label to RMA the rifle and have looked it over.

Their staff gunsmiths are saying it was the pilot reamer that was used on the barrel that left the chatter marks.

At this point they want to shoot it with a couple of different factory ammos they use to see how it groups, and then get back to me with options.

From speaking with their CS, I don't believe that they have a bunch of spare FC parts lying around to take care of issues like this. I am not sure what the options for rebarreling the action may be.

I will let you guys know how things play out.
I would be very surprised if this doesn't get resolved with you being a happy Barrett owner. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
My guess is there was a chip hung in the pilot bushing and it gouged it during chambering.
I doudt it was during buttoning or reaming during rifling in the barrel making process if its a button barrel.

So, the experience dealing with Barrett CS was very smooth up until the point where we needed to find a solution to the issue.

I got a call from the CS rep who I'd been dealing with saying that they tested the rifle and found an ammo that would shoot right at their 3 shot accuracy acceptability standard, which is just over an inch at 100 yards.

Barrett wanted my credit card number to pay for the return shipping and were going to send it back to me.

I politely pushed back a little here and let them know that the rifle certainly didn't meet my accuracy expectations and that at a minimum, I would expect them to cover the return shipping on a factory issue.

I was really hoping to get the action rebarreled in 30-06 or anything they could do in a long action. The problem here is that all of their equipment and extra parts for the Fieldcraft line is in long term storage and not easily accessible.

I got an email later that day, which was over-the-top amazing from a CS perspective.

Basically, they gave me two options.

1) They would ship the rifle back on their dime.
2) They would reimburse me for what I paid for the rifle, given proof of payment.

As I wouldn't shoot the rifle as it is today and I don't want to go semi-custom and rebarrel a new FC on my own dime, I opted for reimbursement. I pulled together my records of buying the rifle and emailed them to Barrett.

I got a phone call today that my $2,000 check is being processed and should be delivered within 2 weeks. They are also sending back the case that I shipped the rifle in.

Except for the slight blip in the middle of this process, I have to say that this was amazing customer service and that all of the guys who sang Barrett's praises where right about the company.

I am bummed not to have a LA Fieldcraft, but very happy with the way Barrett handled the situation.

So, the experience dealing with Barrett CS was very smooth up until the point where we needed to find a solution to the issue.

I got a call from the CS rep who I'd been dealing with saying that they tested the rifle and found an ammo that would shoot right at their 3 shot accuracy acceptability standard, which is just over an inch at 100 yards.

Barrett wanted my credit card number to pay for the return shipping and were going to send it back to me.

I politely pushed back a little here and let them know that the rifle certainly didn't meet my accuracy expectations and that at a minimum, I would expect them to cover the return shipping on a factory issue.

I was really hoping to get the action rebarreled in 30-06 or anything they could do in a long action. The problem here is that all of their equipment and extra parts for the Fieldcraft line is in long term storage and not easily accessible.

I got an email later that day, which was over-the-top amazing from a CS perspective.

Basically, they gave me two options.

1) They would ship the rifle back on their dime.
2) They would reimburse me for what I paid for the rifle, given proof of payment.

As I wouldn't shoot the rifle as it is today and I don't want to go semi-custom and rebarrel a new FC on my own dime, I opted for reimbursement. I pulled together my records of buying the rifle and emailed them to Barrett.

I got a phone call today that my $2,000 check is being processed and should be delivered within 2 weeks. They are also sending back the case that I shipped the rifle in.

Except for the slight blip in the middle of this process, I have to say that this was amazing customer service and that all of the guys who sang Barrett's praises where right about the company.

I am bummed not to have a LA Fieldcraft, but very happy with the way Barrett handled the situation.
Fieldcraft production was paused in order to free manufacturing resources to meet the SOCCOM MRAD MK22 production contract. Fieldcraft is slated to return when they satisfy the contracts. Glad you are pleased with their handling. They are a quality organization. Just signed up yesterday for another Armorer class at their facility.

Fieldcraft production was paused in order to free manufacturing resources to meet the SOCCOM MRAD MK22 production contract. Fieldcraft is slated to return when they satisfy the contracts. Glad you are pleased with their handling. They are a quality organization. Just signed up yesterday for another Armorer class at their facility.
I will buy a LA, if/when they resume production.

They are great production rifles.

Brother you lucked out! Ofbandg was right. Look at the pics. One land is swelled to right from hammering. Opposite direction of lathe and reamer travel. Look at marks, they are in increasing in distance as what was being hammered thru moved farther with each hit till it moved causing the groove on end of marks. Either someone fired a round without powder or tried to slug the barrel with too big and or too hard a slug. I would suggest the second. The gun hasn't been shot much since it was done either. I would think there would be copper shavings at damage area. I can't believe Barrett took care of this. Better buy a lottery ticket.

Brother you lucked out! Ofbandg was right. Look at the pics. One land is swelled to right from hammering. Opposite direction of lathe and reamer travel. Look at marks, they are in increasing in distance as what was being hammered thru moved farther with each hit till it moved causing the groove on end of marks. Either someone fired a round without powder or tried to slug the barrel with too big and or too hard a slug. I would suggest the second. The gun hasn't been shot much since it was done either. I would think there would be copper shavings at damage area. I can't believe Barrett took care of this. Better buy a lottery ticket.
The Barrett guys took a look and said it was from their pilot reamer.

I'm not a smith nor have I ever got a bullet stuck in a barrel so I don't have the experience to have a qualified opinion here.

Either way, yes….Barrett really came through. I would have been very happy with a replacement barrel though, if that had been an option.

Not possible. Look at evidence. Steel displaced into direction of rotation and spacing of damage plus damage is crescent shaped not radial as caused from lathe. But glad ya got it handled. And I'm probably wrong. PS. Barrel appears to be honed. This was done after any honing.

Last edited:
Alright guys, I used to be a Ballistol & Bore Snake guy.

Recently, I have discovered that my rifles could all use a deeper cleaning so I have tried a few different products and have gravitated to Bore Tech [Eliminator, Carbon Remover & Copper Remover] & Wipe-Out.

I bought a couple of the Tipton Deluxe 1 piece carbon fiber rods and am using Bore-Tech Proof Positive Cleaning Jags & Nylon Brushes.

When I use the rods, I use a Possum Hollow bore guide and push from chamber to muzzle, then remove the jag or brush before pulling the rod back through.

All that said, I just finished cleaning a fairly new rifle for the first time and took a look at the barrel with my bore scope. Somehow, there is some gouging on 2 of the lands that begin about 1/8" from the chamber and extend no more than an inch down the barrel.

I do not see how the soft jags I am using could gouge barrel steel and want to get your thoughts on how this sort of damage could occur.

Please see the photos and let me know what you guys think is going on here. The 2 affected lands are near 3 o'clock, as you look down the barrel.

This is a Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 and I am not the first owner. The rest of the barrel and rifle, in general, are in like new shape. It appears to be very low round count and did have copper and powder residue in the barrel, so I don't think it had been scrubbed.
Reamer Damage