Borescope Pictures & Question

You didn't cause it with a jag. Not possible.
I have a cheap stainless steel take-off barrel from a 6.5CM AR-10 that I replaced because it was way over gassed.

I have been toying with the idea of sacrificing that barrel to science and seeing if it would be possible to beat the crap out of the inside of the barrel using a jag with no bore guide or cleaning patch.

My guess is that there is no angle or amount of force that could be applied through a cleaning jag with well rounded edges to damage barrel steel. I would assume that land gouging would have to be caused by tool steel or something of a similar hardness.

Well if its still shooting as described by previous owner then shoot as is. Just saying!
100%

I am awaiting the arrival of the scope that will be going onto this rifle.

I will commit to everyone who is participating in this thread to be a good OP and to follow through with a range report and pictures of the targets.

I have not been happy with the boretech jags. The base on them -at least 338 - is abrupt so hits the edge of the bore going in - and jag being very long its hard to cover that base unless using a 2" patch rolled.
I turned down the base with sandpaper and works better. Look at your jag - if its smooth you dont have to worry about it - scratch? Make a change.

I have not been happy with the boretech jags. The base on them -at least 338 - is abrupt so hits the edge of the bore going in - and jag being very long its hard to cover that base unless using a 2" patch rolled.
I turned down the base with sandpaper and works better. Look at your jag - if its smooth you dont have to worry about it - scratch? Make a change.
They are so long that the patch doesn't cover the base. I agree there.

I'm fine with changing them out too.

Look at my photos and you'll see that we're not talking about scratches.

I don't see any way that softly rounded edges on a cleaning jag, even if it was rubbing metal on metal, could do that to barrel steel.

Final proof is how it shoots. Depending on how many rounds have been through it, maybe it will smooth out a little when more bullets squeeze past that spot in the barrel. Again, if it shoots well, forget what it looks like. Act like you don't have a borescope, and you don't have anything to worry about until you discover that it doesn't shoot.

Alright guys, I used to be a Ballistol & Bore Snake guy.

Recently, I have discovered that my rifles could all use a deeper cleaning so I have tried a few different products and have gravitated to Bore Tech [Eliminator, Carbon Remover & Copper Remover] & Wipe-Out.

I bought a couple of the Tipton Deluxe 1 piece carbon fiber rods and am using Bore-Tech Proof Positive Cleaning Jags & Nylon Brushes.

When I use the rods, I use a Possum Hollow bore guide and push from chamber to muzzle, then remove the jag or brush before pulling the rod back through.

All that said, I just finished cleaning a fairly new rifle for the first time and took a look at the barrel with my bore scope. Somehow, there is some gouging on 2 of the lands that begin about 1/8" from the chamber and extend no more than an inch down the barrel.

I do not see how the soft jags I am using could gouge barrel steel and want to get your thoughts on how this sort of damage could occur.

Please see the photos and let me know what you guys think is going on here. The 2 affected lands are near 3 o'clock, as you look down the barrel.

This is a Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 and I am not the first owner. The rest of the barrel and rifle, in general, are in like new shape. It appears to be very low round count and did have copper and powder residue in the barrel, so I don't think it had been scrubbed.
Discuss those pics with Barrett Customer Service. Ronnie and Chris proudly stand behind anything with the Barrett name on it. They are really obsessed with quality of their products. Their pride permeates the company. Just might make that right for you. Don Cook would be a good contact, if he hasn't retired by now. Otherwise, Dylan, a young guy, has been very helpful and customer oriented. I have 20+ Barretts without a single quality/performance/design issue over 10+ years. Been to their facilities 10+ trips. Have a friendly "Can you help me? Is this right? Can you help me understand?" dialogue with them. Think you will end up a happy owner.

Last edited:
Discuss those pics with Barrett Customer Service. Ronnie and Chris proudly stand behind anything with the Barrett name on it. They are really obsessed with quality of their products. Their pride permeates the company. Just might make that right for you. Don Cook would be a good contact, if he hasn't retired by now. Otherwise, Dylan, a young guy, has been very helpful and customer oriented. I have 20+ Barretts without a single quality/performance/design issue over 10+ years. Been to their facilities 10+ trips. Have a friendly "Can you help me? Is this right? Can you help me understand?" dialogue with them. Think you will end up a happy owner.
This is a great idea. I'll scope it up and see how it groups.

If it doesn't shoot well, I'll reach out to them and see if there's anything they can do to help.

I wonder if they have a stock of barrels in their warehouse.

I wouldn't want to speculate where this happened. I am just offering an opinion on what those marks look like from my personal experience. I once had to tap a squib load out of a friends pistol using a brass drift. He missed a few rounds when he was putting the powder in. These marks could have been caused by many circumstances. I'm just making wild guesses. I doubt if this was the result of a squib load in a rifle because it is so close to the chamber it would have been tapped back instead of forward.