Borescope of my 338 Edge crown after 500+ rounds

I like Boretech products. I still experiment with cleaning. I have not had any copper issues with good barrels. Some barrels like savage are more prone to copper but it has never affected accuracy for me. I have used wipeout with pretty good success as well.
i use wipeout with every cleaning,first i clean with hoppes brushes and patches then wipeout.

definitely barrel needs a really good scrubbing with Hopps and good nylon brush back and forth 25 times it slicks the barrel up the more you use it the slicker will become good luck.

What carbon remover do you use??
I currently use a carbon remover a fellow shooter is developing here in WI. Works great.

I know a bunch of guys who use CLR on their muzzle breaks but caution needs to be had ask nitrided finishes are basically carbon and will get faded. Others have used automotive stuff like fuel injector cleaner.

I think there are a lot of carbon dissolvers available. The more aggressive a chemical used the shorter time it should be left in a barrel as they too have carbon in them.

The important thing is how/why it is being used. I am a "micro mechanic" so in my field, abrasion after machining is detrimental to dimensions and performance thus less is better.

UPDATED with new video

Started to lose accuracy in the last 100 rounds and decided to check out the barrel. I took one video of the entire bore from muzzle to chamber and another video of just the crown to show erosion. A recrown is in order and I'll post results. Let me know if you guys see anything. Thanks

Here is after the recrown and cleaning

Is it a cut rifled barrel or button rifled

I had a 300wby Mag Vanguard 1 Delux that was horrible copper fouling in break in. Tried several mentioned copper removers with limited success. Used KG12 and got 100% removed easily! Barrel ended up mirror finished after breakin (with JB too) and shot awsome. Need a borescope!

Definitely copper fouling, but I would love to know how to get every bit out of there! I use montana extreme, sweets, shooters choice. Used SC then Montana Extreme on it tonight before attacking the carbon with a bronze brush and top engine cleaner.

Crown wont erode? Sure looked like erosion to me. I threw it in the lathe and recrowned it anyway. We'll see on paper if the groups tighten up.

I just got done cleaning the carbon and copper out of a 1950's Model 70 338 Win Mag. my go to carbon cleaner is Bore Tech C-4, my go to copper cleaner is wipe out-- patch out, then again, I have such good results with Montana and Hoppe's, nothing does it better than Wipe out products. this means the "accelerator" before patch out on nylon brushes and soak the bore in the two products together. then if it is really bad, like the 1950's M-70, I use a really unusual combination I discovered by complete accident.
I first put down accelerator, then patch out, after 20 minutes I start in with J&B Bore Paste and keep agitating until the patch out is a gel. then run a patch through and start all over again. nearly 70 years of copper and carbon build up came out in a couple of days between repairs on other guns. the gun was supposed to be a 1/2 MOA gun and has degraded to 1.5" gun last week. they wanted a new barrel and I asked if I could try to save the barrel.. I did, the gun now shoots 1/2" groups for me at 100 yards, that is not C to C that is edge to edge. 200 yards it is 3/8" C to C, 300 yards it is 1/2" C to C. this is one hell of a nice 338 Win Mag. I am going to offer to buy the gun when the guy comes to pick it up today.

Great videos!!!!!! Which scope are you using? Mine is not that clear.
Try the new Teslong Rifle Bore Scope at Amazon. Finally, high resolution at $50.00!! And with a more precise manual focusing system, you get get it even more clear in the vids here. Include the word "rifle" in the Amazon word search box. Teslong makes scopes for other applications also.

Are you chasing the throat with your bullet? If not, Seat your bullet out about .001 for every hundred rounds you figure you have through the barrel. If it's 500, then try about .004-.005 longer on your cartridge OAL. Cleaning is always a good thing though.

Cleaning is always a good thing though.

I don't know about that. Let your rifle tell you when it wants to be cleaned. Didn't want to say it earlier but I'm willing to bet that dull crown is due to aggressive cleaning. I don't know the OP and his practices. Purely speculation on my part.

To the OP did you ever say what bullets you were shooting?

Definitely copper fouling, but I would love to know how to get every bit out of there! I use montana extreme, sweets, shooters choice. Used SC then Montana Extreme on it tonight before attacking the carbon with a bronze brush and top engine cleaner.

Crown wont erode? Sure looked like erosion to me. I threw it in the lathe and recrowned it anyway. We'll see on paper if the groups tighten up.
I have had very good results with wipe-out foam cleaner, follow directions, it may take 2 overnights to get it all.

I don't know about that. Let your rifle tell you when it wants to be cleaned. Didn't want to say it earlier but I'm willing to bet that dull crown is due to aggressive cleaning. I don't know the OP and his practices. Purely speculation on my part.

To the OP did you ever say what bullets you were shooting?
Definitely not over cleaning or aggressively cleaning. It has a brake and had erosion from shooting. Video shows it but not very well. 300smk

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts