Borescope Images - Help me identify...

Dukerugger25

I recently purchased a Teslong Borescope and regretfully there is not a library of images on google to compare my barrels to. Please provide any and all feedback on what I am seeing in the below images. I am intentionally leaving out round counts on the barrels to not bias anyone's answers. Thanks in advance for the help and education!

300PRC.jpg
300PRC (2).jpg
6.5prc.jpg

I'm seeing one firecracked plaza o' gatorskin. Looks like that barrel is either cooked or just about there. The streak is, I think, the rifling but it's been eroded down to non-existence. Borescopes, IMHO, should not be owned/used by people that don't know how to interpret the results. It just ends up with a lot of unnecessary hand wringing and it's not like you can fix anything you find short of replacement.

Thank you for the feedback. The top barrel, with the "firecracked plaza o' gatorskin" has 120 rounds through it - so I hope its not cooked.

The streak is before the rifling starts, so likely not that. There is an identical one about 160° opposite it.

I'll take a crack at it. Looks like the top pic is some fire cracking starting in the throat area.
The middle pics look like something gouged it a little or the reamer may have had a chip on the flutes when it was pulled out after chambering.
Does look like the start of a carbon ring,
stay after and I see no problem.
I would be curious to know the caliber, p.m me if you dont want to say on the forum.

Some of you may shudder, but I run 0000 steel wool 5-6 strokes back and forth in the throat area roundevery couple hundred rounds to keep fire cracking at bay before it gets too deep. Just make sure you clean the steel fibers out really well and dont push them up the bore. I usually follow it up with a little paste
Carbon ring
Bore paste wont usually do much for a carbon ring. You need a good carbon solvent and sometimes it takes an overnight and vigorous brush rotating to get rid of it!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts