Bore Snake

the blur

What's your bore snake method? I usually do 2 or 3 pulls, with a dry bore snake.
Do you oil or put cleaner on your bore snake ?

There's going to be some one to post here who has a phobia for bores snakes. I do have them and occasionally use them if I'm burning powder that's has a habit of being really dirty to get some of the soot out. In a situation like that I might pull the snake through after each shooting session before I put the rifle back in the safe. I don't solely rely on them for a full cleaning. For a full cleaning, I use a carbon fiber rod, brass jags & patches along with bore tech carbon remover & copper remover. After I've pushed dry patches through to dry the barrel after cleaning, I will then take a shot gun mop to dry & clean the chamber. Sometimes but not always, I will pull a bore snake through as the last step to dry everything and get out any lent or loose threads left from the patches. Bore snakes can be useful for some things.

I use them to sweep the bore after I shoot to get the bore free of powder residue that is abrasive. I don't use any solvent or oil on them for this use.

I carry a caliber specific bore snake with me while hunting so I am ready for the next shot with a almost clean bore.

J E CUSTOM

I really wanted to like bore snakes, but having two of them break during use cured me of that. Both were brand new out of the box and were used in the correct caliber barrel.

I have never had one break, but the point is good and a one size smaller caliber would do a good and be easier to get through the bore. (I tried it and found that it did what i wanted) so this could be the remedy if you have problems pulling them through the bore dry.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

I use bore snakes at the range and I use them dry, I feel they have their place . I don't not use them for a do all barrel cleaning . I have had one bad experience with a bore snake (correct caliber) jamming in the barrel and it was so stuck I had to have a gunsmith remove it. It has only happened once but it did happen so be aware .

I may hunt for one to three weeks at a time. Lots of West Texas dust. Big temperature swings that may cause condensation, my guns sweat inside and out at times. A bore snake with a light bit of very thin oil is used to quickly clean and protect the bore. Just my solution to my problem. I don't use them for regular cleaning.

Dry. Not trying to clean them, just remove debris. After every group at the range. I keep one in my pack when I'm out hunting, always. I stuffed my barrel full of mud after a fall and I didn't have one. Had to use stick and water to clean it out. Cleaned and oiled it after I returned to cabin. Never again. You can use tape or cap or cover them. I just keep a snake handy.