Bore site

Mark_in_utah

Pull the bolt, put the gun in a solid rest, point the gun at the top of the stop sign down the street and adjust the scope to match. Stuffing a bore sight down the barrel is risking messing with the crown if you're not careful. Costs less too!

Just my $0.02.

Mark in Utah

Matt,
Total waste of good money IMHO.

I do like Mark does. If you only want to be a couple inches off on your first shot, this is the best way to do it in my opinion. If you're carefull to center up the muzzle end inside the breech end with it on the bull or slightly above, and match the reticle to the bull, it really isn't that hard to be **** near dead on with the first shot. One more shot will bring it in if you line up on the bull again and dial the crosshair up/over to the POI for the semi-final adjustment. Fire a group after that and do the same thing, but dial over to the center of the "group" now.

John,
How can you verify click values with something assumed to be calibrated correctly, when it can't be verified itself?

Would not barrel length and scope magnification all effect the results there?

What are you refering to as free movement?

I know a gun shop that uses the Leupold.

I do my verification tests at 100 and 400 yards on a grid if I can.

Matt,
If you are just trying to zero in your scope, the method above will work. But if you are trying to see what your erector is doing in the way of travel, it is a necessity. If you want to check values per click, total moa, amount of free movement etc this will help out quite a bit.
I would suggest using one that magnetically attaches to the crown of your barrel, not the spud type, unless you have a stainless barrel. I believe that Leupold and Burris both make one. Hope this helps!
John III

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.