Bore sighting question/methods

CjC73

would like to get a good bore sighter without spending hundreds of $$$. Is there a decent one that will handle all calibers?

Or what method do others use?

I did get an old Bushnell bore sighter from a buddy's dad. has the arbors for different calibers (there's 3, although I cannot figure out how to swap them out). Nor can I figure out how to verify if the plastic housing on top (with the cross hairs for sighting) is level with respect to the horizontal once inserted into the muzzle.

thanks!

I use a free one
Post a large circle target @ 25 yards
Pull bolt and center bore on bullseye
Move crosshairs to bullseye
Replace Bolt
Fire 1 round
Move crosshairs to poi
Fire 2nd round, normally through the bullseye
Move target to 100 yards and zero scope

If you have a new barrel and are doing the 2 box fire/clean break in wait to zero until after your done with break in

The only thing this doesnt work on is semi autos like a bar or 760, 10/22

I also have a target dot on my garage door behind my plumb line so I normally bore sight after scope mount since everything is nice and squared

I also look through the bore when possible. I use a pistol target with a 6'' black bulls eye at 100 yards and center the bore over the target.

I use my lead sled to hold the rifle steady and when the bore is centered, then I adjust the scope. After adjusting, I look through the bore again and without touching the rifle I look through the scope. If there are any minor adjustments that need making, I repeat the process.

Normally I am within 1 or 2 inches of dead center. And then fire on a target that has a 1/4 MOA grid for fine tuning.

For non bolt action rifles and pistols I use this type of bore site because it will fit everything and has no pilots that can damage the bore/crown. (It is a great tool that is very handy).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2130726870/wheeler-engineering-professional-laser-bore-sight.

I recommend the green laser over the red because you can see it better outside. If using inside to site the scope in before going to the range, the red works fine. (and is a little cheaper)

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
thanks all. I was thinking that too, look down bore at target 25 - 50 yards away.

Guess i'll do that next time I hit the range.

Before you got to the the range, at night , you can also find a distant light if available in your neighborhood. Get things all steady with some sand bags, lead shot (I always still have a variety of lead shot in bags from my shotgun reloading days), and bore sight to the light. Optimal is a light that does NOT fill the whole bore and is around 100 yrds...

Then adjust the scope to also center on the light. You will arrive at the range already close to sighted. Start at 50yrds and a large target.....

Other advantage to this approach. It really allows use of Burris signature ring inserts. You can, if desired, center the scope crosshairs in the middle R to L. And move the Up Down to the bottom , then raise it a couple M or inches. Now, if you are really patient, you can use the ring inserts to rotate the scope into allignment. So that long range elevation adjustments put the crosshairs into the sweet spot of the scope optics.

Hope that makes sense....

Looking through the bore on a bolt rifle is so simple not to do.
I do this every trip to the range. Something about being taught about barrel obstruction. Do this enough and you will know where the crosshair belongs and you will be able to check in camp when firing a rifle is not wanted. (Up on the mountain)

If you have a deprimed case, you can insert it in the chamber, and by looking through the flash hole instead of the whole chamber and bore, you can get a more precise aiming point.

going to try this next time I go out. thanks

About the best thing I have found to line up on through the bore of a rifle is a vehicle hubcap or wheel trim. At 100 yards they tend to fill the bore nicely and then it is simple to alter the scope to the center of it.

Last edited:
would like to get a good bore sighter without spending hundreds of $$$. Is there a decent one that will handle all calibers?

Or what method do others use?

I did get an old Bushnell bore sighter from a buddy's dad. has the arbors for different calibers (there's 3, although I cannot figure out how to swap them out). Nor can I figure out how to verify if the plastic housing on top (with the cross hairs for sighting) is level with respect to the horizontal once inserted into the muzzle.

thanks!
I have the old Bushnell bore sighter and it works great. The flat spot on the arbor is the set the clamp screw. I set the cross hairs on the center and you are set

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.