Bore sighter

Don't waste your money. Just set your rifle on your sandbags, pull the bolt, line-up your bore with the target (start at 50 yards), without moving the rifle, adjust your scope to the same target. That should get you on paper...and then fine tune your scope settings.

Good luck!

Yeah...that is how I generally site in a scope. Problem is when I want to check the scope when I can't shoot a few rounds first. For example...last weekend I 4- wheeled over some pretty tough country - thought it would be a good idea to shoot a few rounds yesterday. The gun went from 1/2" group at 100 yards to 6" high and left.
I 100% agree - taking a gun to the range is the best way to test a scope...I just want to have confidence in my gun and scope if I can't sight in before I head out.

I really don't think you will get precision accuracy from a bore sighter period, but I could be mistaken.

I really don't think you will get precision accuracy from a bore sighter period, but I could be mistaken.

I think I will agree with britz, I could also be mistaken. Now, if I am, I would have to be for something similar to this: Watch the 3 small videos

Bore sighters are rough zeroing tools that help make it easier to get the first shots on paper when actually zeroing. It is NOT a precison instument, in no sense of the word. That's why many people dispense with them and just go sight in at the range.

That said, an optical type bore sighter, one with a grid, does have a good use for hunters. Once the scope is adjusted to point of impact, stick the bore sighter on and carefully note where the cross wires show on the grid. Then, prior to going on a hunt, recheck to see if the cross wires are still at that point. If they are, you can go hunting with more confidence. I have an old Bushnell "Pro" boresighter and keep a card with the zero points of all my rifles in the case with the tool. This pretty much eliminates any lazer bore sight tool, for me anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. No way would I ever rely on any bore sight system to get a final zero. I like to shoot to much to rely on a bore sight system. Good idea you had to mark a chart/grid with that particular guns zero. Like you said, and I agree...it's a confidence thing.
Thanks Guys
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
Ken

+ 1 boomtube. I have a grid bore sight tool. I also mark my zeros on cards that way if i drop my gun in the field i can pull it out of pack and check zero point. If off i can adjust back to that point, might not be exact but will get me close enough to finish hunt. As for bore sighting at scope mounting i have a lazer pointer that looks like a pencil that i put in the chamber and point into wall and line up cross hairs. My kids got it somewhere and was annoying the hell out of me with it so i took it away from them. Didnt take me long to figure out a use for it.

Nothing replaces shooting your rifle before the hunt to make sure it's on. Nevertheless, we do have to admit that there will be times that due to the circumstances you will not be able to do that and having another method to check it with is not a bad idea. ;)
I've been there, more than once... Unfortunately, I do not own a boresighter!

Didn't see my reply...
I certainly would never depend on any bore sight equipment to zero in a scope...besides it's a lot more fun to go to the range. I was just looking for something to make sure a scope was not way off before heading out. Good idea you had to mark the grid with your scope as a way of documenting where the zero for that scope is.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
Ken

I agree with everyone they are not a precision instrument.

But the main reason NOT to use them is that they can damage the crown.

Some people clean from the breach to protect the crown and then turn
around and stick a bore sighter in the muzzel.

The crown is one of the things that can effect accuracy the most.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.