Bore scope enlightenments

AZShooter

Just have to post some things that I have learned since acquiring a hawkeye borescope.

IMHO a serious rifle shooter cannot be without this invaluable tool. Figure many here know the benefits but will list most of them for all who are interested.

Obviously the bore can be examined for cleanliness or flaws. Can't tell you how many barrels told me they were clean based on the color of the patches to actually have carbon or copper still clinging to the barrel in a few hard to remove areas. A wonderfully accurate 6mm-284 suddenly began to shoot poorly doubling the group size at 200 yds. Inspection showed a black substance in the grooves a few inches from the end of the barrel. A few tight patches with Iosso it was gone and the groups returned. You can truly tell if what approach works to clean a particular barrel.

Several friends had problem rifles that they thought they had burned out. One memorable one had speed bumps of copper. Once the copper was removed it shot just fine.

The crown on many rifles looks fine even when using some pretty high magnification jeweler's loops WITH a magnification light. Run the bore scope around the crown area and you see a totally different scene!
Even the tinest irregularity can be discovered. This has me wondering how many shooters have been disgusted with a rifle's performance viewed the crown and deemed it good. I also wonder how many gunsmiths THINK they have the crown cut properly?

If you do you own gunsmithing when chambering you can view the throat area and see if the reamer cut straight by looking at the starting point for each of the lands. You can also inspect a crowning job.

You can even inspect a case to see if the web is getting thin before you have case separation issues.

I just had to share. Today I inspected two rifles for friends and both had imperfect crowns and one was thought to be clean. This got me to write this thread. I feel that if you are trying for perfection in your LR shooting you should part with the money for this essential tool. It unlocks mysteries.

Are there others that have a borescope?

Sure Joe we share all sorts of things including beer. I have the most time to do things with their rifles and enjoy it.

Great post , thanks for sharing. Would you buy the hawkeye again or would you look at other brands, I know nothing about bore scopes at this point in time.

Thanks for the compliments. I wanted to share the usefulness of this great tool.

I like the Hawkeye would get another. Don't know anything about other brands. A friend of mine who shoots 1000 yd BR had one first. He was the guy that pointed out the carbon buildup in that 6mm-284 which suddenly quit shooting. I was so impressed that I bought one. Once you are shown what is happening in your bore it is hard not to have your own borescope.

Many thanks. Been doing my homework this morning and Hawkeye is certainly a favored product.

Which model Hawkeye do you use? I've been thinking about getting one but the product model descriptions are kind of confusing.

Great post with a lot of valuable food for thought! I have thought about this recently and you have brought up a couple of extra benefits. I will be interested to hear more from others as this post continues.....Rich

My model is several years old. I purchased it from a friend who got out of 1000 BR. It looks like the current hawkeye classic slim with a 17" tube. I got it for less than new with no carrying case or other extras. As a retiree it was affordable. I am very glad I have one and quite frankly if I continue to do my own barrel installations/chambering and loading I will keep it.

New prices are around $800.

I am not positive on length, am not home. I can go in from the chamber end then go in from the muzzle and get to see all even in my 30" barrels. Now that I am thinking of the extra distance of the chamber it might be the 22" version. Sorry about the confusion. I can report back when I get home and measure it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts