Bore cleaning

J E Custom

Another good method of cleaning the bore of your rifle. There are a few changes that I would recommend But overall It is a good consistent way to clean the bore.

I would recommend tilting the muzzle down at least 10 degrees to help prevent solvent from entering the action.
I would also recommend using a throat saver that the solvent can be applied with the patch in it to hold down the mess if applying lots of solvents.

The rest of the procedure can be modified to fit your needs. almost any solvent will work as long as you follow the manufactures instructions.

Something like this for the bore guide that has a slot to add solvent makes less of a mess.

Lining the patches up in order will also tell you how bad the barrel is fouled and how bad/quick it fouls also.

J E CUSTOM

He's fine, but I'm really surprise how many nearly white patches he is pulling out.

My second thought is does he do anything to clean his chamber. Chambers can get a small carbon ring in the neck or case shoulder. Because of this, I do this work first. Then I put the bore guide in and start pushing patches.

I also don't use a brush, unless a certain factory rifle bore requires it. I find JB's to be better than a brush in some rare cases.

Also, never did it before, but I recently bought a borescope and found it helpful to check my work.

He's fine, but I'm really surprise how many nearly white patches he is pulling out.

My second thought is does he do anything to clean his chamber. Chambers can get a small carbon ring in the neck or case shoulder. Because of this, I do this work first. Then I put the bore guide in and start pushing patches.

I also don't use a brush, unless a certain factory rifle bore requires it. I find JB's to be better than a brush in some rare cases.

Also, never did it before, but I recently bought a borescope and found it helpful to check my work.

I would have repeated the process of re applying the bore solvent after 3 or 4 dry patches, As I said some of the procedure could be improved in my opinion, but some won't agree with my methods ether.

I also like to use a cotton bore mop the correct size for applying solvent,

But sometimes a brush is necessary to clean a really fouled barrel. I also don't recommend using any abrasives to clean a barrel. Different strokes for different folks. :cool:

It Is however a good procedure for the new gun owner to buy the basic tools that will do the job, and that was the intent of posting the video. I also have several bore scopes and use them often. But many don't have a bore scope and at least grading the patches will help.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
There are many methods to clean a bore and as many opinions on the best way. However, one thing that applies to all methods and will improve the cleanliness of the bore is judicial application of 'Tincture of Time' ;)

Give your chosen chemicals time to work...don't be in a hurry. I've had barrels that would have nice white patches with no hint of blue after 2-3 patches of my copper remove du jour only to find them speeding up every time I would chrono the same load and show pressure signs way before they should for that velocity. Once I included periodic bore scoping to my cleaning regimen I found that there was a lot of copper still left behind. I now let my chemicals soak for 15-20 minutes before patching out on each application and I can get the bore truly down to bare metal (if applicable) with little mechanical effort. I find things to do between applications like cleaning the bolt, checking torque on action screws/scope mount/rings etc. Now, when I run the Hawkeye through I rarely get surprises.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.