Borden action questions?

howco

I know the tolerances are superb, but how slick is the action? I have never handled one, contemplating a build using timberline action. Had one guy tell me he thought his tikka was smoother than the borden rifle he had.

Had one guy tell me he thought his tikka was smoother than the Borden action he had.

Well the Tikkas set a pretty high standard for smooth feeling actions. I wouldn't necessarily allow that to sway me away from any custom action. I own two BAT HR actions that have both been melonite treated, and I couldn't say that the BATs are clearly any smoother in function than my Tikka T3s. The action on T3s are so slick that simply tipping the rifle forward with an open bolt will result in the bolt sliding to the forward-most position.

I don't own a Bordon action, but I can't recall ever reading anything but good about them.

HOWCO, get your hands on both, the Tikka and the Borden, check them over. If you seriously cannot see any real difference, stay with the Tikka.

I have experience with both. I don't judge an Actions quality and performance by how "slick" it is. Yes, some factory Actions may feel real smooth, but you have to look at the other factors that effect precision. Tikka is not close to any of the custom Actions in my opinion.

Rick Richard, my point precisely. If the man can't tell the obvious difference between a Tikka and custom action, why spend the extra dough?

I have 2 Borden Timberline actions. One is a 6.5 Sherman, the other a 300 WM. I wouldn't say that they are slick. I don't own a Tikka but have looked at them. I think that because the tolerences are so tight that it doesn't give it that slick feeling. I have no complaints with either of mine. If you find one available for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to build on a Borden action.

Thanks for the responses. I know the borden to be a favorite among many,sometimes I get in my head to try something different. The reason I started thread was due to a borden rifle possibly for sale at a really good price. The caliber was not for me, so I was thinking build.

I also have two Borden Timberline actions. a 300wm and 338rum. Both are 1/4 moa guns and the rum has shot a lot of groups in the .1 moa range. I like actions that shoot accurately, and that's what you get from a Borden.

I've gotten to play with a bunch of thee best actions currently made recently with them coming through the shop, the Borden and Kelbly with melonited bolt are the two finest running. Most bolts will fall out when you tip the action, try pulling the bolt back just pulling straight back on the very end of the handle and see how it moves. No factory action will match the machine work and geometry of a Borden, not a comparison!

I have two Borden rifles, a Timberline Magnum (300 RUM) and Alpine Magnum (270 WSM) and two Tikka T-3's (.204 and 270 win). As far as 'smooth' or 'slick', those are relative terms. The Tikka is incredibly smooth (both of them) the bolt will easily slide back and forth by it's own weight. The Borden's are very smooth as well, as close to perfectly machined as I have ever seen, but the tolerances are significantly tighter. They are both very 'smooth' and 'slick', and exude as fine of craftsmanship as I have ever observed on a rifle.

I certainly would not call the Tikka junk by any means. In fact, I believe it is the best value in a bolt action rifle available today. The 270 I mentioned is actually my sons' which I bought him for his 12th birthday. During load development, I had three different seating depths with a starting load of Varget under a 110gr Barnes TTSX. Two of three loads were at or under 1/2" (3 shot) at 100 yds. I have never had a bolt action shoot so well out of the box without tinkering (and many more that I could never get to truly acceptable accuracy levels). For this reason, I have pretty much given up on factory rifles lately.

If you can get that Borden at a decent price, go for it. They are everything people say about them.

I have experience with both. I don't judge an Actions quality and performance by how "slick" it is. Yes, some factory Actions may feel real smooth, but you have to look at the other factors that effect precision. Tikka is not close to any of the custom Actions in my opinion.

Exactly. "slick" is only part of the equation...

I have two Borden rifles, a Timberline Magnum (300 RUM) and Alpine Magnum (270 WSM) and two Tikka T-3's (.204 and 270 win). As far as 'smooth' or 'slick', those are relative terms. The Tikka is incredibly smooth (both of them) the bolt will easily slide back and forth by it's own weight. The Borden's are very smooth as well, as close to perfectly machined as I have ever seen, but the tolerances are significantly tighter. They are both very 'smooth' and 'slick', and exude as fine of craftsmanship as I have ever observed on a rifle.

I certainly would not call the Tikka junk by any means. In fact, I believe it is the best value in a bolt action rifle available today. The 270 I mentioned is actually my sons' which I bought him for his 12th birthday. During load development, I had three different seating depths with a starting load of Varget under a 110gr Barnes TTSX. Two of three loads were at or under 1/2" (3 shot) at 100 yds. I have never had a bolt action shoot so well out of the box without tinkering (and many more that I could never get to truly acceptable accuracy levels). For this reason, I have pretty much given up on factory rifles lately.

If you can get that Borden at a decent price, go for it. They are everything people say about them.

You're absolutely right, Tikkas as are no junk!

I own a Tikka in 300 WSM and a Borden Timberline in 300 RUM. Both are fine rifles to my thinking but the Borden is scary accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts