Boots for Elk Hunting?

Ill agree with many others here, i went with the kenetreks about 3 years ago and never looked back. Its one of the most important gear investments you can make on a hunt. Mine were well worth the investment after about 50 miles on this years hunt in snow and having to get a 6x6 bull out that was several miles back in. You just cant afford to have wet feet in that situation, or not enough support and twist an ankle with 80+lbs on your back. Keep an eye on midway they run good sales on the kenetreks, i got my 1st pair for 290. Just bought a pair of the 1000's last fall as well, my feet run cold.

I wear a E width boots and ordered in tons of different boots to see what felt the best. I chose Lowa Tibets. They are uninsulated and my feet only tend to get cold riding a atv or utv. Most of my buddies run uninsulated boots as well and most use Kennetrek. My feet tend to sweat with insulation. Once they sweat they freeze. I, like a lot of people, use to wear Danners until their quality started suffering. BTW I ordered in Lowa, Zamberlan, Crispi, Kennetrek, and Mendel's in wide and standard width's. I actually bought 2 pairs from Campsaver for around 290.00 each on sale. I'm hard on boots and I finally had one of the first pairs leak this year in a brutal rain storm after 5 years or so. I bought a replacement pair this year.

I have a pair of uninsulated Crispi, they are nice boots. I give the kenetreks a slight edge in comfort. I havent worn them enough to test durability like the kenetrek. I dont think you can go wrong with crispi boots, i know a lot of guys here like them as well.

I agree to a point. Lowa's I like! The "old" Danners were great, but the quality has deteriorated over time while trying to lower cost. Lowa's, Kennetrek's and Crispi's are on my radar for my next boot purchase.
I've just seen a lot of danners fall apart in one winter at work.

I like my Danner Elk Hunter boot. ive had a lot of hiking boots over the years these have been the easiest on my feet and provide plenty of support and no need for insulation, not too mention price is very reasonable.

As said by an above poster--boots are very subjective. I will say if you are willing to spend a few dollars on your feet (which I highly suggest) look at Russell moccasin company. I would suggest the grand slam sheep hunter or the toe lace hunter...or "big cambo boot" for something shorter. I am glad some have had good luck with kenetrek--I have not--and for the price the Kenetrek are I almost could pay for my Russell's. I have had a set of their Prickly Pear birdshooters for close to 20 years and other than re-doing the soles twice they are going strong, my Grand slam sheep hunters are wonderful. they are not technical boots but are stiff enough for 80% of the hunting I do and with the air bob claw sole are very comfortable. The boots are made to order, fit to your foot, and made in the USA by master craftsman. If you need something stiffer, I'd go Crispi barksdale SF...but that is a technical boot made for rough rocky and steep terrain. I know you would be more than happy with some Russell's. I have been

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    680.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I tried Kennetreks for 1 day and promptly returned them. They felt like I was on stilts and super unstable on steep, rocky terrain. Their heals and soles are WAY too high off the ground!

I wear boots every day at work year round here in Colo. I have never owned a pair of insulated boots...even in the winter. I buy boots about 1 size large so I can add thicker/padded insoles plus I have the option of wearing thin socks and cinching down the laces when it's warm outside or letting out the laces and wearing heavier socks when cold.

I would highly recommend Crispis. There are several models on sale right now for around 20% off. I've also had good luck with Lowas but the new Crispis are tough to beat!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.