Boots for a Montana hunt

Really, any boot that is broken in to your foot. Gore Tex and stuff is great, but not required. I like a tall boot now due to weak ankles. You have know your own feet.

Crispi Barksdale or lantrop and sons…both are really good. For less technical stuff I really like my Russell grand slam sheep hunters..not as stiff as the others mentioned

The area you are going is heavy timber and general steep.The Kennatrecks usually need break in.The Crispi dont for me,not as stiff to start but good support.You can and will be probably running quite few ridges Ill find a picture of terrain

Possibly he might get you in the lower ranch land The upper stuff is this You might see elk going to his cabin,elk on hill right behind.350 shot there last year or year before,packed off my friends place ,archery,guy was 70 I had a 5x6 bull under me in picture,in the no shootem unless there a hog zone

Attachments

• 7E11EA9C-045B-4982-B711-AC2FB735D34F.jpeg
    7E11EA9C-045B-4982-B711-AC2FB735D34F.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 29
The area you are going is heavy timber and general steep.The Kennatrecks usually need break in.The Crispi dont for me,not as stiff to start but good support.You can and will be probably running quite few ridges Ill find a picture of terrain

I think that in January I'll grab a pair of Crispi Thor's, any chance you spent any time with that one?

Go try them on!!!

I was boot shopping a couple years ago and went to scheels and tried lowa, Crispi, kenetrek, and a couple more. I picked scheels because they had the ones I wanted to try in stock.

I went with Kenetrek due to fit. The 3 brands above all had 13 wide. But one was better than others. I went with a model in mind for each, but was going to go with best fit.

I can say I have been 110% happy with the Kenetrek, but the others are respectable brands just fit a little narrow for me.

This was my first jump over $250 in boots, and **** worth it! My feet have suffered on past hunts until I got a high end and well fitted boot. I won't go cheap on boots again. These will outlast others and the stability and lack of blisters is amazing!

I will also add I bought them in the spring, for fall hunt. BUT….. I would have been good to hunt in a couple weeks with minimal break in

Mine are the crispi valdres plus gtx,not insulated,but i wear them in snow quite a bit,But I have Scarpa,Asolo, mountaineer type,and some La Sportiva Mountain,for late season Ran the salamon outback bow hunting,did have a cactus poke threw the canvas type side,they real lite and Im on second season

Last edited:
Really dig my Lowa Renegades and wear those most of the time. Mountain type hunting I'll run my Hoffman's. Great boots!

I really would like to give the Lowa Tibet and Ticam boots a shot too.
I have the caminos and love them. Mostly use them for hiking.
My other Lowas are the black mountain boot from task force military they provide. These are my work boots while on duty even though they're built for rugged terrain they work well while on duty. My next pair (I hate to move away from lowas) will be the meindl army pro as they're taller and will work better while at work as the Lowa mountain boots are too short

I've tried:
  1. Zamberlan 1014 Lynx
  2. Zamberlan 1005 Hunter Pro
  3. Zamberlan 980 Outfitter
  4. Zamberlan 981 Wasatch
  5. Zamberlan 1025 Tofane
  6. Hanwag Trapper Top
  7. Hanwag Alaska
  8. Hanwag Alaska Winter
  9. Hanwag Sirus II
  10. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400
  11. Crispi Wild Rock
  12. Crispi Summit
  13. Schnee's Granite 600
  14. Lathrop & Sons Mountain Hunter Elite
  15. Scarpa Charmoz
The Zamberlan 1014 Lynx are by far my most favorite. The Kenetreks are a distant second for my foot.

Forgot to add the Hoffman Explorer. It is really about which boot fits your foot. As you can see for me.. The journey was long. Some people can pop on the first pair they try and take of hiking. My feet won't tolerate that. I guess I am a wuss.

Whatever boots you choose make sure they fit you properly. Walking down inclines your goes hit the front of your boots and make your hikes miserable.

Good Luck in your hunt.