Boots for a Montana hunt

I currently reside 30 miles south of Milwaukee and should be getting to Plaines Montana about five or six days prior to the hunt. Hopefully I can find a fishing hole. Cody Carr is the outfitter or guide. This is a hunt I wanted to do since I was 25 and swore would happen by forty, well this September I hit 60. Off the bucket list and onto the f@&$kit list I am going. Got my tags for deer and elk, also the guide fees paid.
Sweet! It is always nice to cross out one from a bucket. Good luck and happy safe hunting and fishing.

I used kenetrek hardscrabbles guiding elk hunts and above timberline marmot hunting here in Colorado. They were really great boots. I'm currently using Lathrop and Sons boots. They're even better, IMO.

I am tossing a coin between the crispi Nevada's and kenetrek hardscramble. People here are bringing flavors of boot I've never heard of. Maybe it's a location thing, here in Wisconsin with an altitude of maybe 60 feet at my location and possibly 200 at best in the state no real need for a climbing boot, after all the Great Lakes we formed by glaciers (great fishing)
Since you're going to Montana early you could stop by schnees in Bozeman and pick out a pair of schnees boots. Never had a pair and heard they're top quality but would like one or two different pair. I have crispi hunters and Lowa and like both.

Last edited:
I have the Kenetrek and Crispi brand of boots depending on hunting conditions. If I were to pick one as a favorite, it would be…can't decide. Oh, none of them are insulated since I have no problem with getting cold feet.

I always have three pairs of boots in elk camp. Kenetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated, and 400 gram insulated. 1/2 size larger than my normal shoe size. The third pair is the Schnee Elk Hunter 10 inch pack boots. I use them when it's wet/snowy and cold. In fact, all of the elk hunters in camp have that same combination. Kenetrek also makes a great pack boot.

Hunting mainly in NC, I have three pair of Kennetrek, Mountain Guide NI, 400, and Safari NI. Used Galibier Vercours for years in Rockies, but I think they're gone gone. I guess that means i really like K.

I have used montrail, salomon, merrills, but my favorite are my Lowas. I liked them all, but the Lowas were the most comfortable for me. Bought my first pair of Renegades 4 months before an out of state hunt, very comfortable fit, before breaking them in. Walked a few miles each day of the hunt, and my feet were great when it was over. I now wear the beat up pair at work.

I have used montrail, salomon, merrills, but my favorite are my Lowas. I liked them all, but the Lowas were the most comfortable for me. Bought my first pair of Renegades 4 months before an out of state hunt, very comfortable fit, before breaking them in. Walked a few miles each day of the hunt, and my feet were great when it was over. I now wear the beat up pair at work.

Really dig my Lowa Renegades and wear those most of the time. Mountain type hunting I'll run my Hoffman's. Great boots!

I really would like to give the Lowa Tibet and Ticam boots a shot too.

Last edited:
Soon to be headed for a elk hunt in Montana. The elevation will range from 4000 to 8500 feet. The hunt will take place in mid October. Have been looking at the kenetrek hard scramble boot and the crispi neveda gtx. Does anyone have a preference in boot and why. Currently I have some Irish Setters hikers but they maybe my backup.

Tanx in advance for y'all's time

I might of missed it, but what did you end up selecting for boots?

Soon to be headed for a elk hunt in Montana. The elevation will range from 4000 to 8500 feet. The hunt will take place in mid October. Have been looking at the kenetrek hard scramble boot and the crispi neveda gtx. Does anyone have a preference in boot and why. Currently I have some Irish Setters hikers but they maybe my backup.

Tanx in advance for y'all's time
DANNER...

gotcha, I had 2 pair of them. First pair I loved, second pair I never got comfy with so I ran them down the road