Boot recommendations for someone with tendonitis ( Achilles)

I have suffered with Plantar Fasciitis in the past. I was a competitive racquetball player and started having problems. Shots didn't help, so I had a surgery to release the fascia and got instant relief which has lasted for 8 years. Fast forward to several months ago. I started having considerable pain on the bottom/outside area of the other foot. I have a friend who's an OS. We were having a convo and I mentioned the pain to him. He said based on where it was hurting, it could be either the Plantar Fascia or Achilles. Either way, the protocol was a shot, PT, and orthotics...and stop walking around bare-footed. I went to a podiatrist who injected me and recommended inserts as well. She said that the insoles were what would keep me going. They weren't customs, but did cost about $75 each. I bought seven pairs and have them in all of my shoes. I also bought a pair of slides with good support to wear around the house in the evenings. I've been following this protocol since January and have all but eliminated the pain. I was to the point of going in for surgery, but for now I seemed to dodged that bullet.
What he said plus - inner soles that work for you. Crocs not bare footed. Kenetrek boots ( I wear them daily for ranch work and or guiding or hunting) have pretty much kept my plantar fasicitis and gout under control - along with anti inflammatory herbs daily like cherry tart, garlic, and turmeric, and Vitamin c. No not a doctor, but many years of bad feet - we have good hearts and bad feet. Oh and I'm 63 years old, not skinny..l

I will add to the doc suggestions this: our diets don't always support fascia and tendon building blocks/maintenance. Two things have more notably helped me with my related aches and pains, albeit I am still putting the whole recipe together but Glucosamine WITH MSM is very helpful, also magnesium supplementation. I take the Gw/MSM with a sizable drink of Empirica tri-mag (has a dose spoon and directions, I add more water as I oft don't get enough during the day) taken together just before bed seems to be best. Most pf your body repair activities happen when sleeping seems to be the most supported info trend I have noted from various sources over the last 3 decades. Good arch support shoes is probably going to be noted as well by the doc, or I hope will at least be touched upon. If you have athletic arches you may need boot inserts as well, no matter the shoe. Companies can't always make a product that fits everyone.
Stepping back a little, expect a journey testing magnesiums. Some just go right through you, some kinda should be taken in the morning but may cause indigestion, some kinda don't feel like they're doing anything. So it's a bigger picture aspect as well.
Make sure there's nothing actually bad going on in there with that doc.
Now to listen to the 10yr younger Yoga teacher girlfriend for more about the rest......
Addition: Dr Scholl's makes a insert for heavier peeps, they work well for me.

Different issue than the Original post,but may have related type issues.I have been having a lot of issues with my knee.Had surgery on it eleven years ago.Since last August,I had a couple of steroid injections,first one helped a lot,second one,not so much.I started having a lot of muscle pain in my upper and lower leg.The muscles were tight and were throwing my knee out of alignment.The muscles were so tight it was causing the bones around my knee to hurt.I bought a Hy-Impact massager and went to work on my whole leg.I found the muscles were really tight and sore from my hip all the way to my knee.On my lower leg the muscles were tight and sore from my ankle to my knee.With the Hy-Impact massager I could feel the tight muscles that I didn't notice otherwise.I also started taking muscle relaxers and a anti-inflamamatory med Diclofenac.Once I finally got the muscles to relax things started getting much better with my knee issue.Yesterday I got a gel shot in my knee and it's feeling really good now.If I hadn't taken care of the muscle issue I don't think I would be feeling this good right now.

Sorry I don't mean to be argumentative, but I used GC for over a year, and have had the glucosamine/chondroitin discussions with several doctors. My friend that is the OS, as well as another OS who's subspecialty is feet/ankles that I sought for an ankle that I busted in 2004 and which is getting progressively worse, both recommended glucosamine/chondroitin. I mentioned to them that I had the read considerably on the subject and the results are questionable at best, and probably show that they have no long-term benefit, both agreed that they had tried GS but were no longer doing so. Two ortho's telling me they don't personally use it tells me all I need to know.

Last edited:
Looking for a boot or even a brace recommendation to help with the tendonitis in my ankles... At only 34, this has become reality from the hard miles of the younger years. Anyone else having this issue and what has helped? I've been wearing kenetrek boots for the last 5 years and love them, but after a few miles my Achilles tendons are feeling pretty rough. What boots or compression braces are you guys using?

Thank you for your time in reading and responses in advance.
There is a condition called Haglund's deformity where excessive pressure on the back of the heel causes the bone to thicken (exostosis) where the Achilles tendon inserts. This exostosis puts pressure on the heel where it contacts the shoe. The resulting friction from hiking becomes debilitating.

I have this problem. Developed in my 30's as well. If that is what you are dealing with, then the line of Danner boots where the upper is sewn to a traditional sole are the answer. Examples from their current lineup are the Elk Hunter and the Grouse. Danners are the only boots I can wear, but they are a Godsend for me. They are well made and durable. They are the only boots I have worn for several decades now.

I fear that what you are describing is more likely Achilles tendinitis. That is a more difficult problem to deal with. Find a good podiatrist who treats active outdoor types and athletes. Diagnosis of an assortment of maladies involving the hind foot can be established with MRI or ultrasound.

Achilles tendon problems are a unique kind of hell for an active hunter. Good luck. Let us know what you learn.

There is a condition called Haglund's deformity where excessive pressure on the back of the heel causes the bone to thicken (exostosis) where the Achilles tendon inserts. This exostosis puts pressure on the heel where it contacts the shoe. The resulting friction from hiking becomes debilitating.

I have this problem. Developed in my 30's as well. If that is what you are dealing with, then the line of Danner boots where the upper is sewn to a traditional sole are the answer. Examples from their current lineup are the Elk Hunter and the Grouse. Danners are the only boots I can wear, but they are a Godsend for me. They are well made and durable. They are the only boots I have worn for several decades now.

I fear that what you are describing is more likely Achilles tendinitis. That is a more difficult problem to deal with. Find a good podiatrist who treats active outdoor types and athletes. Diagnosis of an assortment of maladies involving the hind foot can be established with MRI or ultrasound.

Achilles tendon problems are a unique kind of hell for an active hunter. Good luck. Let us know what you learn.
I have the HD too!

Looking for a boot or even a brace recommendation to help with the tendonitis in my ankles... At only 34, this has become reality from the hard miles of the younger years. Anyone else having this issue and what has helped? I've been wearing kenetrek boots for the last 5 years and love them, but after a few miles my Achilles tendons are feeling pretty rough. What boots or compression braces are you guys using?

Thank you for your time in reading and responses in advance.
I agree with a prior response go see a podiatrist and or an orthopedic guy. I had prior injuries to one of my ankles to the point I had to get orthotics. I have done rehabs on it and periodically have to repeat the regiment prior to knowing I will be going on long hikes. I now buy boots that the orthotics will fit in and it seems to work. I did have boots that I paid to have the orthotics guy modify, but did that twice and that option is just too pricey for me. Seemed like the boots wore out faster as well. good luck.

Tendonitis is ironic inflammation that can be CURED. If not cured, it tends to get worse and can be debilitating. Usual treatment involved getting the swelling down with rest, ice, ibuprofen, & steroids (most often a Prednisone injection), followed by stretching and strengthening. Getting the swelling down before the stretching & strengthening is imperative as the swelling causes more irritation, which causes more swelling, as you are using the joint. Once the tendon is healed and strengthened it should not swell when you use it. You may be looking at 3-6 months or more of physical therapy, but it's worth every minute of it.

See the foot doc! I speak from experience, that when the tendon goes, it may give you no notice. A decade ago, I stepped off the front porch and fell flat on my face. Felt intense pain at the tendon site for a few minutes and then numbness, which scared me more. Went to the local hospital, which was in the midst of a disaster drill and had to wait until they were thru with the fake heart attacks. Then the ER doc misdiagnosed it and I waited two weeks to get re-examined. End result was a very invasive surgery to reconnect the tendon halves. Much more than would have been required at the time of injury. A tip for you. There are two additional tendons that run alongside the foot. They will allow you to still walk and can bend the foot. However, if you hold the toes lightly, they will not have the horsepower to bend the foot up, need the Achilles Tendon for that. How the ER doc missed that is a mystery.

I would possibly save myself from further harm and see a podiatrist. I think it would be cheaper in the long run and you would certainly get the device you need. Just my opinion based on my current health condition and experience.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
CBD oil will cure it. Just kidding, I'd listen to Rick.

Tendons are strange in that the usual "tendinitis" is not like the usual "...itis" stuff in that it does not have the usual inflammatory characteristics. It is more of a degenerative process. Tendons can heal, but they heal very slowly. Think rotator cuff problems, jumper's knee (patellar tendinitis), or tendon problems around the wrist (De Quervain's tendinitis). So the treatment approach is different. There are a number of effective treatments, but where any malady has a wide number of treatments, that usually means no one treatment is the Cure.

The common denominator will be Time. Any estimate given as to when a tendon will heal has to be considered in terms of many months to years of modified activity.

The foot and ankle are incredibly complex dynamic miracles, the mechanics of which are generally poorly understood, even by physicians and even general orthopedists. That is why I urge you to seek out a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon that has a proven track record in treating foot and ankle problems in high performance athletes and outdoorsmen. A good way of finding such a professional is to quiz your local college team athletic trainers or physical therapists. They know who treats these problems effectively... and who does not. Get an accurate diagnosis. Take time to consider pros and cons of a treatment plan.

Then be patient. Getting ahead of this while you are young will pay big dividends over the long haul.

HAHA CBD oil definitely did NOT cure it, no matter how much I tried.
Mine healed on there own with some light stretching and exercise. I did change my shoes and boots to new ones. But I got lucky. There were days I thought my Achilles tendon was going to burst.