Boot recommendation

I used to think custom hand made boots were expensive, until I actually bought a pair. Disclaimer, I don't have custom hunting boots, I have custom cowboy/work boots, but I would imagine it's all the same. No break in time, and they fit perfectly from day one. If you can afford it, custom is absolutely the way to go.
So true, I own 4 pair of Russell stuff, grand slam sheep hunter, a tall boot they ended up calling the Wyman boot..and two pair of chukkas...great products--I've always had custom made cowboy boots as we had a cobbler that we knew for years...I bought one pair of the grand slam sheep hunter about 12 years ago they were at the time $520..I had them redone 3 times, before they were non-repairable. I just got these in 2019 so 2 seasons in and going strong hope I get as many seasons out of them as I got out of my first pair.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    680.2 KB · Views: 75
I agree with those replies that mention fit-frst as a requirement. Get a good brand that fits your feet, both of them. My Kenetrek mtns. produce left foot blisters at the heel while my right foot fit is perfect. I did not like that my heels wore down fast with Kenetrek. About 80 miles over 3 months on sidewalk took them down. To contrast, my Irish setter uninsulated boots from 1994 have been with me on every hunt since (though not always worn) and are still going strong. Boots have become pricy, especially good ones with hand made production involved, and nothing lasts forever, so find the boots that meet your use, fit correctly, and pay the price and don't look back. All the brands that have been mentioned so far are good but may not be good for you.

I've went through multiple pairs of Meidls, the IQ is a good boot. The Danner Elk hunter was pretty descent. I never tried Kenetrek, too much arch for me. I've been running Lathrop & Sons since 2018 and I really like em. They are not cheap, you will spend near $1000 if you have them make a custom insole. Well worth it and they make a wide version as well. They are great guys to work with.

Nothing works like custom fitted boots for me. I have had several pairs, worn them out hiking and firefighting (40+ years ago). I have worn and been very happy with Merrell's and White's that were rebuilt several times in the past. Yes I have feet that are a challenge to fit, 13 Narrow with very low arches.

I've went through multiple pairs of Meidls, the IQ is a good boot. The Danner Elk hunter was pretty descent. I never tried Kenetrek, too much arch for me. I've been running Lathrop & Sons since 2018 and I really like em. They are not cheap, you will spend near $1000 if you have them make a custom insole. Well worth it and they make a wide version as well. They are great guys to work with.
The Danner elk hunters were the best boot going for a long time. Those and the Canadians got me from the 90s through about 2010.

I found Zamberlans a slight bit narrow.
I have a pair of Meindl Bhutan model leather finish.
We have very wet conditions all the time and these have held up well over three years. I brought them to Africa in 2019 and they were quite comfortable with excellent arch support.
I have a second lighter pair of Meindl walking boots but they have not worn well.
I am sure Meindl are available in the USA .
I would be surprised if there is not a good quality boot made in USA. Just watch out for stuff made in China but sold under an American or European marketing name.
I

I have had fantastic results with Latrop & sons Boots, along with great service.I will definitely purchase again if I live long enough to wear this pair out

Hanwag? I don't own a pair but am going to give them a try after a great friend shared with me how great they are when packing a load!

Hanwag? I don't own a pair but am going to give them a try after a great friend shared with me how great they are when packing a load!
I got a pair of Hanwags couple years ago. They fit my foot well and I absolutely love this boot. Lots of good brands, most important to find the brand that fits YOUR foot the best.

About this time last year I bought Kenetrek MTN extreme, non insulated, 13W. Oh my gosh..... so glad I did!

this was in planning for an elk hunt but I drew a sheep tag late spring (so gave up the elk hunt) I hunted sheep in 90 degree weather in September and again in freezing temps in December. The Kenetrek non insulated did great for both just adjusting my socks to the weather.

on the brutal pack out in December when I finally harvested, my feet thanked me for the investment.

it was the most money I have even spent on boots and so glad it did. I have given them a beating in one year and they definitely have more years left in them.

get one that fits well, go try them on. With wide feet I found Crispi and other European boots to be too narrow. Great boots but too narrow for me.

Last edited:
BTW. If anyone is concerned about premature wear because of consistently heavy loads, or extremely rough terrain, the "Guide" series utilizes the K-73 outsole. The K-73 offers a longer wearing option, with a more aggressive pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.