Boot recommendation

Man I did not think $450 is that out of line for L&S..the hardscrabbles I had almost cost that and fell apart in 2 years...almost any good boot La Sportiva, Crispi, Kenetrek, Scarpa--all are 375-500...anyway take care of your feet--get the best you can and what is supportive and your feet like...good luck in your search.
Lots of reports of being in close to or over 1k if going the custom fit option but it all depends on what modifications that they do.

Can these higher end boots be returned if they don't fit? If I'm always concerned about ordering high dollar boots and then they don't fit. Many times these type of boots aren't available to try on before buying.

Can these higher end boots be returned if they don't fit? If I'm always concerned about ordering high dollar boots and then they don't fit. Many times these type of boots aren't available to try on before buying.
For these high end boots, I don't know of any stores that don't do returns as long as they have not been worn. Always ask though what are the terms for returning. Good luck!

Since others have mentioned Crispi and Kenetrek already, I'll throw Schnee's into the mix. I've used their Beartooth for 2 seasons now and couldn't be happier with them. I haven't tried the Kestrels yet but from what I have seen they are also great if your looking for a 0 flex boot.

A 0 flex boot sounds miserable, why would you want that? There must be some benefit I'm not aware of.
Schnee's has a system to rate the amount of flex from 0-4. 0 is the most flexible, 4 being the most rigid. My apologies, I didn't mean the boot 0 flex(as in none at all). Now that I read it, I see how it sounds.

Man I'm glad I kept my mouth shut!!! I though Rocky Corn stalkers were the sht. Dunning Kruger effect in action=== you don't know, what you don't know.
Thanks for the boot education guys!!

I definitely agree with your foot shape dictating the correct fit. For me the Kenetrek relief came in the form of better leather, and most importantly a more structured (stiffer) sole. I've dealt with plantar fasciatis off and on for a few years now. Even with orthotics I could only get temporary relief from the pain. I used to wear softer soled boots and even my heavier duty boots were softer in comparison. I was actually working at an outdoors store helping a customer with a pair of wading boots, they (husband and wife) both had some interesting hiking boots on and were very particular about footwear. I spent 3 hours with them making sure the husband got the perfect pair he needed, but they also schooled me up about the wonders of Italian made leather boots, as well as a stiffer sole. I decided that it was worth a try as with the softer boots I've always worn, did nothing to help my feet, probably hurting them more than anything. Obviously there's other factors involved with foot overuse pains etc, but stiff the boots are the only true change. I got a pair of Desert Guides from Kenetrek. I took my time breaking them in and laced them consistently. No more pain. I even started a job where I was standing for 12 + hours each day on hard surfaces, and these worked like a dream. I also use them to hike 10 or more miles in very uneven mountain terrain, with no sense that my boots count handle it. I'm pretty hard on my gear, and don't like to ever feel under prepared. I have yet to get the Mountain Guides that have a similar sole but with more height and some insulation options. I've actually served in the USMC in multiple Infantry combat deployments, and I wish I had access to these when I was in. I really can't say enough great things about them.

Sorry to ramble, I'm just very passionate about them.

...what Springtom said about stiffer soles and resolving plantar fasciatis.

Love, love my Kenetreks.

They enable my 75 year young body to do 6 western mountain trips per year. I already have most of my backcountry backpack permits reserved.

Kool-aid-2.jpg

When I met Montana guys over the years, so many were standing in Kenetreks that I coined a new term - - - referring to their rave reviews as having "drunk the Kenetrek Kool-Aid".

Since then I drink it, too!

I used to think custom hand made boots were expensive, until I actually bought a pair. Disclaimer, I don't have custom hunting boots, I have custom cowboy/work boots, but I would imagine it's all the same. No break in time, and they fit perfectly from day one. If you can afford it, custom is absolutely the way to go.

I definitely agree with your foot shape dictating the correct fit. For me the Kenetrek relief came in the form of better leather, and most importantly a more structured (stiffer) sole. I've dealt with plantar fasciatis off and on for a few years now. Even with orthotics I could only get temporary relief from the pain. I used to wear softer soled boots and even my heavier duty boots were softer in comparison. I was actually working at an outdoors store helping a customer with a pair of wading boots, they (husband and wife) both had some interesting hiking boots on and were very particular about footwear. I spent 3 hours with them making sure the husband got the perfect pair he needed, but they also schooled me up about the wonders of Italian made leather boots, as well as a stiffer sole. I decided that it was worth a try as with the softer boots I've always worn, did nothing to help my feet, probably hurting them more than anything. Obviously there's other factors involved with foot overuse pains etc, but stiff the boots are the only true change. I got a pair of Desert Guides from Kenetrek. I took my time breaking them in and laced them consistently. No more pain. I even started a job where I was standing for 12 + hours each day on hard surfaces, and these worked like a dream. I also use them to hike 10 or more miles in very uneven mountain terrain, with no sense that my boots count handle it. I'm pretty hard on my gear, and don't like to ever feel under prepared. I have yet to get the Mountain Guides that have a similar sole but with more height and some insulation options. I've actually served in the USMC in multiple Infantry combat deployments, and I wish I had access to these when I was in. I really can't say enough great things about them.

Sorry to ramble, I'm just very passionate about them.
I have kenetrek boots that I wore during elk hunts that were excellent keeping water out when crossing small creeks. I wore the boots in snow with gators and never had a problem with my feet getting wet or cold. I have wore a lot of different boots hunting and kenetrek boots have been the best boots so far that I have wore. There are other high price boots that I have not tried. Since the kenetrek boots are comfortable and keep my feet dry, there is no reason for trying other boots. My shopping days are over in trying to find the right boot for me.
This comment is from a man that is 71 years young.

Make mine Kenetrek. The hardscrabbles have been resoled and still strong. They are my everyday boots. The Extreme 400s are just getting broken in. Have Pac boots as well, did not to put them to hard use yet.

I bought a pair of Crispi West River boots from Scheels last year and am very happy with them. Comfortable from the start and broke in well after one day. A lot stiffer boot than I'm used to but I appreciated it during my hunt. They have 400g insulation and we're warm with a pair of heavy merino socks.

Crispi West River

98151593-9C1B-4547-9AFA-10ED52B58815.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.