Boone and Crockett Coues deer!!!!!

Kirk Kelso

I was lucky enough to take this 129 1/8 gross, 122 3/8 net typical Boone and Crockett Coues Whitetail on the early October hunt here in Arizona.
View

I first found this buck while guiding Mule deer hunters 2 years ago, and have unsuccessfully hunted him since then, untill Friday! I had a client on this buck last season at less than 200 yards, but he was an older gentleman, the light was low and he couldn't make him out in the brush. I also had an archer miss a 45 yard shot at him last season, so I had a personal vendetta with him! As fate would have it, I was fortunate enough to draw the unit he lived in for my hunt. I don't get a chance to hunt for myself very often anymore, due to client obligations, so I was ready to put the total effort into this hunt and this deer.

I located the buck after about two hours of glassing, at a distance of over 1200 yards. He was in a position where I thought I could at least knock half that distance down, so I grabbed my 7X42 Leica Geovids, and my rifle and made my dash! Once I had reached my shooting spot, my Geovid gave me a range of 643 yards. I got into a prone position behind my David Miller Marksmen .300 Weatherby and found him in the 6.5X20 Leupold. I have added additional crosshairs in the scope which gives me aiming points at 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards, so I placed the 600 yard stadia line at the top of his back. The wind was dead calm as I squeezed the trigger. The 168 Sierra Matchking entered and broke the on-side shoulder, broke the spine, and broke and exited the off-side shoulder! The exit hole was approximately the size of the lid to a coke can! I love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Kirk Kelso
Pusch Ridge Outfitters
(Kirk, I have added the photo at your request---Len)

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Well done!

Not only a fine result on a great buck, its great to see a successful result after coming so close on other ocasions.

Fergus

Kirk,

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with that buck. Good job!

What are the season dates for Coues in Arizona?

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.