Boone and Crocket reticle range test.

Interesting thread. I've been using an IOR scope, with MP8 reticle, on my .300 for nearly 10 years, both to estimate range, and for hold-over point. Last year I bought a Leica 1200 and started using the turrets instead of hold-over. So far the turrets on my IOR scopes have been completely repeatable, and I have gone to clicking in elevation instead of using hold-over most of the time. With range cards it doesn't take but a moment to make turret adjustments. The other thing I am doing is to shoot at 50 yd increments to verify or alter my ballistic software print-outs as needed. Experimenting with an accurate rifle and scope until accurate adjustments can quickly be made is a kick in the ***.

First of all night hunter no one is talking about being scared and afraid to use the click method. It is simply a matter of confidence and what works best for each individual.With my Boone and Crock reticle I have range proven consistent aim points out to 600 yards. In fact I shot 1 shot at each aim point last week from 250 out to 600 yards and all the shots hit the target within a 5" group in the bulls eye.
You can't convince me your clicking method is faster than my hold over method or more accurate out to 600 yards, beyond that I grant you the click method is necessary.
So there is no reason I would choose to use the click method. I have used numerous scopes over the years that the clicks are not repeatable and 4 clicks did not consistenly move the point of impact 1 inch.
Most of them take at least one shot to settle the adjustments, I have used Leupolds, Burris, Sightron, Bushnell, Tasco and Redfield scopes. Including my current scopes which are Sightron II and Leupold vxIII's. None of them would I trust to use the click system with. The closest scope I have personally used that actually moved the point of impact where it said it was moving is my current Sightron SII, but even it sometimes takes a shot to settle, especially when it is really cold. This is my own experience , your mileage may vary.

Blockb, I am not sure what you are asking me about small or large triangles. I just set it on 14x power and sight my rifle dead on in the crosshairs at 250 yards, then I am dead on again at the other aimpoints at 350 500 550 and 600 yards when shooting at 14x power. Frankly I was very pleasantly surprised how dead on all the aim points are for my load.

The large triangle is at 14 and the smaller one at about 11 power on the scope that I have 4-14x40 LR (30mm tube) with B&C

My elevation @ home is 250' above sea level. Where we hunted the antelope was @ 6,000' above sea level. There was no noticable effects even the there was a great difference in sea level.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.