Bolt Sticks

30 years old....bet it hasn't been looked at with a scope.....
I bet........carbon ring.........extra pressures.....ha
I agree. I had a much older model rifle that did the same thing which got so bad that I finally had to take a ramrod to push the spent case out of the receiver! A carbon ring, as you stated, WAS the cause of my problems.

The bolt on my Rem 700 7mm Mag sticks and takes a lot to eject cartridge after firing. I cleaned the chamber, and it helps, which tells me that was at least some of if not the problem. The gunsmith I brought it too said he could find nothing, and the bolt appears to be wearing evenly. Any ideas on how to resolve or identify to cause of the problem. Bolt picture attached. Any other ideas besides cleaning? Don't have another long action bolt lying around.
curious about the swipe mark on top of the bolt lug.......

The bolt on my Rem 700 7mm Mag sticks and takes a lot to eject cartridge after firing. I cleaned the chamber, and it helps, which tells me that was at least some of if not the problem. The gunsmith I brought it too said he could find nothing, and the bolt appears to be wearing evenly. Any ideas on how to resolve or identify to cause of the problem. Bolt picture attached. Any other ideas besides cleaning? Don't have another long action bolt lying around.
Had the same problem with my Rem7mag…sold it to a used firearms company.

My sympathies OP with your issue. Remington extraction issues are a pain. Good news is, if it worked fine before, then something changed to make it not work. Duh, right? Here is where I'm going...

Primary extraction shouldn't change over time
Ejector plungers work if the plunger and spring are not broken and the area is clean.
Chambers/barrels change over time...as others have said, could be build up of material carbon/rust in the chamber, or bore.
Remington extractors; there are a lot of things that can change over time with them. I've found a handful of issues with Rem extractors that can cause similar issues. Broken, worn, loose, damaged extractor retaining groove, and how tight the extractor grips.
Ammo can change.

Check each one of these items and see how they are working. Brownell's has a Rem extractor replacement instruction that is insightful.

i may not be much help, but check the front action screw. the wood could have compressed over the years allowing the screw head to contact the lower locking lug. back the screw off half a turn and see if you still have the problem.

Bullpine - for what it's worth about twenty years ago I'd purchased a brand new Rem 700 in 7mm mag. It was a beautiful firearm with a rare walnut European oil finish stock. The gun fitted me like a glove and with very good optics on it I got 1/2 inch groups consistently with good factor ammo. However, every few rounds on closing on a fresh shell the extractor wouldn't slip over the cartridge rim rendering the weapon temporarily useless. My Swiss custom gunsmith was an authorized Remington dealer and repair shop so I handed the firearm over to him for rectification. In two months he attempted several repairs to it including replacing the original new bolt with another one from Remington, then even sending the gun back to the factory. In due course Remington sent it back but the jamming persisted, which was the last straw for me. I could see the Swiss gunsmith was as disgusted as I so in a round about way we got my funds fully back. Fall hunting season was arriving soon in the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains where I hunt and on a one day long horseback scouting circuit we had counted 17 different grizzly bears! In a couple weeks we set up our big tent far back in the wilderness and my Weatherby Mark 5 in 300 WM enabled me to tag a fine 6 x 7 bull without worrying about the worthiness of my firearm in this remote setting. If you've got a sometimes malfunctioning firearm that makes it unsafe as well as unreliable - just get rid of it and move along. That model 700 was my last Remington bolt action rifle - for me anyway. Best of luck in your sporting pursuits.

( for those that may have hunted the eastern slopes of the Alberta Rockies - our general hunting area is where the late PH George Bugby miraculously clobbered perhaps one of the last of the great plains grizzlies as it closed on his startled hunting party - coming at them in 20 foot bounds! Look it up on Google..)

Last edited:
i may not be much help, but check the front action screw. the wood could have compressed over the years allowing the screw head to contact the lower locking lug. back the screw off half a turn and see if you still have the problem.
I too was thinking about a lug.

Just had same issue, with 270 core loks. Turns out after contacting Remington, shells were over 20 years old. Over pressure the cartridge just enough. Bolt would not rotate without solid pull and tapping with leather mallet