Bolt Sticks

bullpine

The bolt on my Rem 700 7mm Mag sticks and takes a lot to eject cartridge after firing. I cleaned the chamber, and it helps, which tells me that was at least some of if not the problem. The gunsmith I brought it too said he could find nothing, and the bolt appears to be wearing evenly. Any ideas on how to resolve or identify to cause of the problem. Bolt picture attached. Any other ideas besides cleaning? Don't have another long action bolt lying around.

Attachments

• DSC00586.JPG
    DSC00586.JPG
    912.4 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC00587.JPG
    DSC00587.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
Primary extraction is my guess especially if its a RR action.
Some people say a body die needs to be used (can't remember the name) to get sized down by the belt I have never experienced it.
If primary extraction is the issue i would tackle that first. I'm surprised your smith didn't recommend taking a look at that

I have come across this several times and, there appears to be no cause, BUT if the ejector is sticking, it pushes on the case head making it hard to rotate.
The other cause can be the pin that holds the firing pin to the cocking piece can work loose and bind the bolt body.
I have all the tools to dismantle Rem 700 bolts safely, did the gunsmith that looked at your bolt pull it apart?
Often it is the unseen that causes all the problems.
If you have a magnifying glass, take a close look at the extractor, it may be bent. If not, use your phone's camera to take some pics then blow them up to look closely at it.
Soak the bolt in Carby cleaner, dismantle the firing pin assembly and clean it with the above to remove all carbon and only LIGHTLY oil it. Re-assemble and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Did not fire anything but factory ammo in this rifle and have owned it since new 30 years or so. Will take MagnumManis comments to another gunsmith if I can't fix it. A new bolt to over $250!

I would agree with the above comments that there may not be much primary extraction. Read these two links and then watch the area where the bolt handle should be contacting the receiver on extraction after firing. It may point you in the right direction.

Did not fire anything but factory ammo in this rifle and have owned it since new 30 years or so. Will take MagnumManis comments to another gunsmith if I can't fix it. A new bolt to over $250!
You dont " need " another bolt then you will run into headspace issues. Google 700 Rem RR action primary extraction issues there will be a host of threads on it and options.
One thing you can do is with the bolt closed measure with feeler guages between the back of the action and bolt handle if its an RR probably gonna be .050+ wich is about .040 to much.
Theres even probably YouTube videos out there explaining it if your into that.
Its all about repositioning the bolt handle on the extraction cam which also may not be right. Just repositioning the handle will help.

If the "bullpine" has owned this rifle for 30yrs it's not a RR. That doesn't mean it can't have primary extraction issues, or a chamber that couldn't stand to be polished a bit. Doesn't have to be a RR to have poor positive extraction issues, many previously made have that problem, too. (Gunsmiths of today have various knowledge and skill levels, from 'wanna-be' a gunschmidt too, to extremely knowledgeable a skilled)

Missed the part that he had it for 30 years, definitely no a RR then.
Like you said shortgrass still can have primary extraction issues.

Is the sticky part at start of bolt lift or just right at the top.
If its right at the start its over pressure even though its factory ive seen it.
If its right at the top primary extraction.

Trigger reset can cause "hard extraction". I would get carb cleaner and hose down the trigger assembly and then use a bit of penetrating oil at the rear portion of the sear where the pin is located.

Unless the rifle has been difficult to open the bolt since you bought it 30 years I doubt it is primary extraction. The primary extraction would have been present the first time you fired it. I do not know the history of the 700's but did they have primary extraction problems that are so prevalent today 30 years ago? I thought the primary extraction problem was a more recent problem.

Carbon ring is a possibility causing an increase in pressure, leading to .... How about you post some pics of your fired brass focusing on the case head. The case head will often exhibit issues that indicate high chamber pressure, like flow into the ejector, flat primers ... Take pics of a couple of case heads if you decide to take your camera out more is more better.

Just my guesses, there are many on this site with more experience than I have I just build bolt guns and the occasional AR for my own use.