Bolt stick

Why am I hitting pressure quicker than others. Some guys are reporting 85-86 grains.
If you can find Nosler brass to compare capacities with, you'll most likely find the brass is thinner and has more volume. You also don't know what the throats are cut like in the other rifles, there are a lot of variables and that's why you have to work up and not just assume you can run the same max charges that other people can.

What are you velocities with the lower charge weight? If you aren't slow there's no issue here.

If you can find Nosler brass to compare capacities with, you'll most likely find the brass is thinner and has more volume. You also don't know what the throats are cut like in the other rifles, there are a lot of variables and that's why you have to work up and not just assume you can run the same max charges that other people can.

What are you velocities with the lower charge weight? If you aren't slow there's no issue here.
It's at 3305 at 81 gr and 3358 at 82. I didn't crono the 79 and 80 I just hope they group. 85 was the first good group I got but it was with new brass and I had no issue till I resized.

So you're in the correct velocity range at -3gn of powder. ADG is thicker, less capacity, still getting good pressure and resulting velocity at the lower charge. The guy in the Hammer load data for 155HH/28 Nosler was running Nosler brass.

Your 85gn load was probably massively over pressure. If you have any H1000 you could try the slightly faster powder.

85 was the first good group I got
Hang on, I guess I missed this. You're getting poor groups at the lower charges? In new brass or in the fired brass? That would tick me off even if the velocity/ pressure was better, so it's not all fine if you're getting bad groups.

Since this is a Hammer Hunter, what are you doing for seating depth?

I've had brass that was loaded hot that eventually (3 reloads?) that had this issue. I even made a body die which sized enough to fit but it would expand at the base and was hard to extract with lesser loads just as you describe. The brass was trashed due to hot loads in the beginning of its life. This is just part of running near pressure.

You need to look the velocity your loads are producing compared to others and not the charge weight.

Hang on, I guess I missed this. You're getting poor groups at the lower charges? In new brass or in the fired brass? That would tick me off even if the velocity/ pressure was better, so it's not all fine if you're getting bad groups.

Since this is a Hammer Hunter, what are you doing for seating depth?
In the new brass I got bad groups but started at 82gr. I need just looked for pressure with the resized brass to see where it was. So my best group was 85 gr new brass. I will load three of each and look for a group with resized brass. Wich if I get a group then I feel like I need to fire form all my brass then load. I am .030 off the lands

Where is the last PDR groove at versus the end of the case mouth at that seating depth? I don't have QL on this computer to get a projected load density, but after cruising Nosler's load data you should be able to seat deeper and not compress 81gn or less of Retumbo.

To take a big step back from the details on this one particular load here for a minute, how did you pick the seating depth you started at? I've used @ButterBean crimp instructions with the case mouth in the last groove, even if I didn't put a 1/8 crimp on it. I set the necks very tight (think FL size with no button/mandrel after tight), stick the bullet in to the last PDR, and run a fast enough powder that the charge isn't compressed. That practice has worked in multiple chamberings for me, 6.5CM to 338 LM. Jump was over 0.100" with some of those loads, especially with light for caliber HHs.

I run 169g HH. If it would help I can give you a base to ogive measurement on my loads when I get back tonight. I would start with that measurement at 79g and work up and see what that does for you. Quiet Texan is giving you good advice but I think there are other things you can try before crimping.

I run 169g HH. If it would help I can give you a base to ogive measurement on my loads when I get back tonight. I would start with that measurement at 79g and work up and see what that does for you. Quiet Texan is giving you good advice but I think there are other things you can try before crimping.
As QT said above, Stop worrying about measuring, pull the expander ball and seat them to the last PDR groove and work up to pressure
Call me if you need any help
812-264-6183
Bean

but I think there are other things you can try before crimping.
I don't think you absolutely have to crimp Hammers, but I do set up the bullet seating as if I were crimping - case neck end in the groove of the last PDR. Short/light for caliber bullets with less in the neck are usually the ones I do crimp, but I don't think I crimped the 30-06 loads I used for whitetail last year, those were 180 HHs.

I don't think you absolutely have to crimp Hammers, but I do set up the bullet seating as if I were crimping - case neck end in the groove of the last PDR. Short/light for caliber bullets with less in the neck are usually the ones I do crimp, but I don't think I crimped the 30-06 loads I used for whitetail last year, those were 180 HHs.
I don't have a ton of experience with the hammers just a 28 Nosler and a 300 wm. They both came into it pretty easy. As you said they do seem to like to jump.

As QT said above, Stop worrying about measuring, pull the expander ball and seat them to the last PDR groove and work up to pressure
Call me if you need any help
812-264-6183
Bean
I think I would be in the lands if I did this. I measuredogive center of first band and that would be another .090 to out of the case. To the best of my ability to measure. With a ogive comparator. I am .033 off the lands so I don't think I can push it out that far. I very well may take you up on that call for help thanks

I think I would be in the lands if I did this. I measuredogive center of first band and that would be another .090 to out of the case. To the best of my ability to measure. With a ogive comparator. I am .033 off the lands so I don't think I can push it out that far. I very well may take you up on that call for help thanks
Not the first groove, the last one