Bolt scope clearance issue

jrkotz

Hi guys,

I've finally acquired my dream lightweight long range hunting rifle, a ULA in 6.5x284. I have a 20 MOA rail and planned to mount my 3.5-18x44 Swaro Z5 4W BT on it. Medium rings allow for plenty of clearance for the objective.

Here's the problem - the bolt hits the eye box of the scope when working the action. It's not just the Swaro (which has a particularly large eyebox) I tried a Sightron SII 3-12x42 I has laying around, same issue. The only scopes that cleared with no issue were lower power and lighter build. A Leopold 3-9 and 4.5-14 fit fine.

I really want to use the Z5 with it's adjustable ballistic turret system, but don't really want the scope lifted too far away from the bore axis.

Any suggestions? Maybe other glass to consider? I need to keep it lightweight. The Z5 is 15.9 oz.

Thanks guys.

It seems like your choices are higher rings or having a gunsmith bend the bolt handle to clear the Ocular housing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts