Bolt on muzzle break

timmymic

Has anyone tried the bolt on breaks from Kahntrol Solutions? Or have any input on them?!?

Interesting concept. Looks like there is plenty of openings in the brake so blowing off wouldn't be a problem. Not the best looking but could be very functional.

I once was at the range when a guy shot a 505 Gibbs with a newly installed threaded on brake. It didn't have many openings in the body and it blew off with the first shot! I found it in the berm, 110 yds away, a few weeks later. The threads were not very deep on the barrel or brake. The brake blew off without damaging either the barrel or the brake! We theorized the volume of gasses over came the brake and bulged it then launched it.

Get one and report back to us!

I have one on my 300 RUM, it is amazing. I love it and it really tames the beast, my 9 year old shoots it with no problems.

If I got one of these for my .308, could it be used on a smaller caliber with the same barrel diameter? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just might be switching to a 7 or 6.5mm shortly. Thanks for sharing this.

I ask them the same thing and they said yes but you would like to have the bore as close as you can to the bullets diameter. It will work though, I can't imagine it would make a huge difference.

A .308 brake on a smaller caliber rifle will not affect accuracy but it will not be as effective in reducing felt recoil, generally.

Today I installed one of the Kahntrol bolt on muzzle brakes per their specifications on my 300 win mag. My rifle is a savage 110 FCP HS Precision with the factory heavy barrel. The first time firing, the brake blew off and landed approx 50 yards down range. After a little searching I found it a bit banged up on the outside and completely unscathed on the inside, so I know it wasn't from contact with the bullet. I spoke to the gentlemen shooting next to me for a few minutes, who turned out to be a gun smith about what happened. He thought the reason why it came off could be attributed to the tapered nature of the barrel. After backing out the screws I installed the brake again, this time adding 5in lbs to the recommended 30in lbs from the manufacturer. The next shot held, however the one after that sent the brake 50 yards down range again. Same story after inspecting the brake with the inner parts untouched and the outside a little more banged up. I know the OP is a bit dated, but I thought anyone contemplating one of these brakes would like to hear about my experience.

Cowboyarcher is right. A brake works by catching gases and porting them away. It has to have a wall to catch the gases and deflect them. If you have too big of hole most of the gases will just follow the bullet out the barrel. It would not reduce recoil very much. The more wall a brake has the better they work. When the gas hits the wall it will be pushing forward on the brake. I would think if they work well at reducing recoil they would be hard to hold. Also I read where Bill Caffee a well known 22 rimfire builder did a test where they put a tuner on a skinny Rimfire barrel. He slugged the barrel before the tuner and then installed a tuner with two 5/40 screws and snugged it to the barrel. Now when he pushed the slug through the bore was tighter. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.