Bolt lift click on tikka

To piggyback on this. Probably not your issue but I had a tikka that the little plastic insert for the ring base, a chunk of it didn't come out and the base screw pushed it down in there far enough to contact the bolt and cause issues.

It may be. Option #2 is to open up the back of the chamber. It's interesting though because I had another saum chambered with the same reamer and never had a single issue in a different action and that was hot rodding it and am at 9 firings on the brass and not a single clicker. That reamer has been used a bunch and the only issue has been tikka actions.
@Ckleeves
Wait. So the reamer affects the barrel only. What is it about the tikka action that is exacerbating this issue?

Or are you saying that reamer has fixed tight chamber issues on factory Tikka barrels, whereas other barrels didn't need the extra reaming?

@Ckleeves
Wait. So the reamer affects the barrel only. What is it about the tikka action that is exacerbating this issue?

Or are you saying that reamer has fixed tight chamber issues on factory Tikka barrels, whereas other barrels didn't need the extra reaming?

This is common in all actions with SAUM and PRC chambers "clickers". The ADG brass at the web area is very thick and when run hard it will not resize properly and causes these clicker issues during the top of the bolt stroke during extraction. After the 4th and 5th reload the brass gets really work hardened and it causes the issue. The SAUM and PRC chambers are very tight fitting and by opening the web area of the chamber it fixes the issue. Hence the PRC reamers designed by Alex Wheeler. I'm actually modifying my 65PRC chamber on Thursday to the AW265PRC. I've read that the same issue can show up on the SAUM cartridges. Some though have reported good results using the Micron series of dies made by Bullet Central. It may be worth a call to them to see if the have a 7SAUM die. This also happens some times with WSM cartridges.

This is common in all actions with SAUM and PRC chambers "clickers". The ADG brass at the web area is very thick and when run hard it will not resize properly and causes these clicker issues during the top of the bolt stroke during extraction. After the 4th and 5th reload the brass gets really work hardened and it causes the issue. The SAUM and PRC chambers are very tight fitting and by opening the web area of the chamber it fixes the issue. Hence the PRC reamers designed by Alex Wheeler. I'm actually modifying my 65PRC chamber on Thursday to the AW265PRC. I've read that the same issue can show up on the SAUM cartridges. Some though have reported good results using the Micron series of dies made by Bullet Central. It may be worth a call to them to see if the have a 7SAUM die. This also happens some times with WSM cartridges.
Sounds familiar!!! No micron dies for the 7saum. Anybody know if a Redding body die would help?

I have a Redding body die and it didn't work on my PRC
So if I'm understanding this correctly it's actually the webbing (solid part of brass head) that's expanding? Not just the thin brass just above the case head? So you have to size that solid webbing back to size? And the only way to do that is with a slightly tighter (smaller diameter) die?

So if I'm understanding this correctly it's actually the webbing (solid part of brass head) that's expanding? Not just the thin brass just above the case head? So you have to size that solid webbing back to size? And the only way to do that is with a slightly tighter (smaller diameter) die?
I believe it's just above the web at what they call the "200 line", that's on a PRC. A die will sometimes work but this is the hardest area to resize and ADG brass is thicker than others.

I do appreciate the response, but can someone explain the "Tikka action"-specific part of it for me?

Still seems we are talking about the barrel (chamber, specifically), not the action.

@Ckleeves

I'm not exactly sure why it seems more prevalent in Tikka actions. I'm guessing it has something to do with the primary extraction or maybe the angle of the internal lugs to bolt lugs? The bolt design? I'm not a gunsmith.

No the reamer hasn't been used on factory tikka barrels, it's been used to chamber other barrels on different actions. That's the only reference I'm going by is that fired brass measures exactly the same coming out of different barrels on different actions chambered with the same reamer and the tikka actions click and the other actions don't.

I can take a piece of brass that's clicking horrible in my tikka, resize it and shoot it in my brothers Winchester action and it comes out like butter even though they were chambered with the same reamer and the brass measures the same after firing. Same with my Dads tikka prc vs a Bighorn actioned PRC. Granted those are totally different action designs then a Tikka but it sure seems like there is something with the combination of a Tikka action and ADG brass and getting early clickers.

The problem no doubt comes back to tight chambers and ADG brass being very hard and tough to size. But it's odd how much more noticeable it is in Tikka actions vs others.

Edited because I totally spaced one of the most important things I think is to blame: the 70 degree bolt throw has to have something to do with it. It's doing the same amount of work in 20 degrees less then other actions.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure why it seems more prevalent in Tikka actions. I'm guessing it has something to do with the primary extraction or maybe the angle of the internal lugs to bolt lugs? The bolt design? I'm not a gunsmith.

No the reamer hasn't been used on factory tikka barrels, it's been used to chamber other barrels on different actions. That's the only reference I'm going by is that fired brass measures exactly the same coming out of different barrels on different actions chambered with the same reamer and the tikka actions click and the other actions don't.

I can take a piece of brass that's clicking horrible in my tikka, resize it and shoot it in my brothers Winchester action and it comes out like butter even though they were chambered with the same reamer and the brass measures the same after firing. Same with my Dads tikka prc vs a Bighorn actioned PRC. Granted those are totally different action designs then a Tikka but it sure seems like there is something with the combination of a Tikka action and ADG brass and getting early clickers.

The problem no doubt comes back to tight chambers and ADG brass being very hard and tough to size. But it's odd how much more noticeable it is in Tikka actions vs others.

Edited because I totally spaced one of the most important things I think is to blame: the 70 degree bolt throw has to have something to do with it. It's doing the same amount of work in 20 degrees less then other actions.
You could also have your brass roll sized. This will size it back to new specs all the way to the case head

I do appreciate the response, but can someone explain the "Tikka action"-specific part of it for me?

Still seems we are talking about the barrel (chamber, specifically), not the action.

It's is the chamber and the bolt at the top of the cycle when it cycles over the extraction cam. The click/pop is the bolt extracting the brass from being stuck in the chamber. See the video above your reply. Again it's not Tikka specific. It happens with many different actions, barrels, brass, chambers.