Bolt lift click on tikka

Ucsdryder

About 3/4 of the way up the bolt gets stuck. When I pop it there's a "click" and it opens the rest of the way. If I run the bolt handle fast it doesn't happen. I trimmed my cases thinking that was the issue but it's still there. Any ideas?

About 3/4 of the way up the bolt gets stuck. When I pop it there's a "click" and it opens the rest of the way. If I run the bolt handle fast it doesn't happen. I trimmed my cases thinking that was the issue but it's still there. Any ideas?
Are you running a high pressure load?

Part of bolt lift is the cocking of the firing pin which "clicks" into place.

Try this with no brass at all in the gun and see if that's what you are seeing/hearing.

Part of bolt lift is the cocking of the firing pin which "clicks" into place.

Try this with no brass at all in the gun and see if that's what you are seeing/hearing.
Definitely not this. I know what you're referring to. This is a solid stop. I should have taken a video.

Definitely not this. I know what you're referring to. This is a solid stop. I should have taken a video.
Hmm, then to me the two places to look are too much pressure due to load/distance to lands, or a head space issue but let's look at a couple of more possibilities.

I'm assuming you have a scope mounted on the gun. Pull your bolt out and see if there are any signs of galling like maybe the mounting screws could be a bit long and scraping on the bolt lugs.

Timing issue. This is one you'll need a gunsmith to look at.

Are you having this issue with all loads? Do you have it if you chamber a fired piece of brass?

Another thought. That click typically is the sound herd when the case breaks loose after being stuck.

My question is are you full length sizing? If so you may not getting proper sizing all the way to the base.

If there was any way you could either shoot a few factory rounds or load a few with brand new brass and see if you get the same "click" it would narrow things down a whole lot.

Looks like this is it. Scroll down to the "clicker" video almost at the bottom. I use rcbs does, I'm wondering if I need a new fl sizing die that sizes all the way down the case?

Tie goes to the runner.

You might want to consider what I suggested above then consider either adjusting the dies or if you're already making full contact with the shell holder perhaps looking at some "Small Base Dies". If I remember right Hornady and a few others make them.

You can test this theory by comparing the OD just above the rim to a factory round, or factory chamber spec's.

Another thought. That click typically is the sound herd when the case breaks loose after being stuck.

My question is are you full length sizing? If so you may not getting proper sizing all the way to the base.

If there was any way you could either shoot a few factory rounds or load a few with brand new brass and see if you get the same "click" it would narrow things down a whole lot.
This right here. Issue didn't start right away. I'll measure the case above the rim and see how it compares to some virgin brass. My full length rcbs sizing for is camming over so I don't think I can size any farther down with that die.

Tikka's seem to do this about the 3rd or 4th firing with warm loads and ADG brass. I'm guessing on your brass just because I have experienced the exact same thing. Next firing it's going to be worst. I have 100 pieces of ADG 6.5 saum brass that only has 3 firings on it that I retired because of this same issue.

I started into a new box of brass and backed off on the load to see if it would last longer without clicking. My gunsmith buddy cut down a extra die I had to make a small base die. Jury is still out on that, I think I need to have him take even more off of it. I tried 10 cases thru it with what we thought was adequate sizing and still got clickers.

This right here. Issue didn't start right away. I'll measure the case above the rim and see how it compares to some virgin brass. My full length rcbs sizing for is camming over so I don't think I can size any farther down with that die.
This has happened to me when running hot loads in tight chambers, I noticed it especially with my old 300 prc.
Basically if the case doesn't have much room to expand at the web then your die will never be able to size it down enough to avoid clickers

You made he have to think hard and go over some of the problems I've had over the years.

I've had it happen twice, once on some ammo I was only neck sizing, and once when it turned out I had a FL RS die that was out of speck.

In the case of the first I just had to adjust the die a bit to get the proper shoulder bump and in the case of the second, I sent some resized brass back to Hornady with the die and they gave me a new die.

If you can find a small base die set for reasonable money that might just solve all of your issues.

Recent Posts