Bolt Knob opinions

13point

Getting ready to do some mods to a new 700 XCR Compact Tactical and I was just wondering what everybody thinks about adding a Tactical Bolt Knob? I'm going to use this one mostly for coyote hunting. I'm impressed with the finish on this rifle.

Tactical Bolt Knobs overrated and -priced.
Get a standard ball knob like this, they work and cost only the threading needed.
You should be able to obtain one in any machine shop.
I didn't find an American online shop selling them, so you have to search the net a bit, if you don't know anyone working in machining or similar.

There are always pro's & con's when modifying your rig & adding a "tactical" or oversized bolt knob is no different. Here's how I see it:

Pro's:
Does assist with bolt manipulation as it usually makes the lever longer.
Easier to "find' as you're observing through the scope

Con's:
Some of them stick WAY out there, making it possible to snag on things you don't want it to.
Can be a real PITA when you carry the rifle slung over your shoulder, the knob can dig into your back/side.

If you're looking for an easy route, I was able to install one of these myself:
TACTICAL BOLT KNOB CONVERSION - Brownells

t

On a true hunting/carry rifle. I would avoid anything to large. They snag and dig into your back as stated in previous posts. Round is normally best. On a bench gun or heavy rig go for it.

Getting ready to do some mods to a new 700 XCR Compact Tactical and I was just wondering what everybody thinks about adding a Tactical Bolt Knob? I'm going to use this one mostly for coyote hunting. I'm impressed with the finish on this rifle.

Check out Twistedbarrel.com, that guy has a huge selection of knobs that he makes. I have one of his smaller aluminum knobs on my newest rifle and love it. For the record, I will never own another rifle with a plain Remmy knob, once I started using oversize knobs I can't go back. And by oversize I mean larger than stock but not too large.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.