Bolt fluting

308 nate

For all those of you who have been following my posts about bolt fluting and those of you interested in getting your bolts fluted, here are some pictures of some of the bolts I have fluted. I have finally settled on a price for fluted and I am charging $55 that includes return postage.

Feel free to e-mail me or post here with any questions or suggestions.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=409199&c=500&z=1"]
409199.jpg
[/url]

308nate

They look sweet.
Nate , did you ever settle on a cutter size or are you able to use differant sizes to make larger flutes?

it just looks cool , thats enough for me!!

Some tactical builders do it as a claim that its a way to keep any debris form binding the bolt up when cycling , the flutes act as a drill to carry any forgin matter out and away from the action that might cause the bolt to bind when it is stroked , o at least that the reason I was given once

JDJones,
I can use different cutter sizes.

The first pix. of the Rem. is an 8 flute using a 3/16 ball end, plunging to a depth of .062. That end mill doesn't reach it's full width of .1875 until I pluge to a depth of .09375.
At .093 there is not a lot of metal left. I personally would not like to go deeper than .082.

I also teflon coated the flutes in the Rem., satin black for a nice contrast.(that adds extra cost)

The Barrel block Savage I used a 1/8 ball end also at .062 deep and the last pix with the bolt in the teflon action, is the same as the Rem.(minus the teflon flutes)
308Nate

Slopeshunter,
JDJones pretty much hit the nail on the head.It just looks COOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In my complete acurizing package for the Rem 700's I ream the raceway and go with a PTG bolt .0015 under my reamer size which only leaves .00075 clearance all the way around the bolt, then I flute the bolt for less surface tension and to make a place for any debris to go. The helical flutes provide even wear on the receiver raceway versus straight flutes. It's kinda like all these fancy alluminum rims you see on cars...they don't really improve performance but they look really cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

308nate

308 nate I am very interested in having you do a bolt for me please call me ASAP at 1-765-969-7479 and we can work out the details. Thanks Joel Biltz

Turn around time right now on bolt fluting is 1-2 weeks.
(That does not include shipping time.)I use priority to return ship them, so most of the USA will get it in 2-3 days.
308nate

Joelbiltz,
I called last night and left a message on your machine.
You can get ahold of me at 1-701-794-3276 or 1-701-880-3276
308nate

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.