bolt face erosion??

Frogman77

is the narrow dark ring around the firing pin hole considered bolt face erosion? Is this from leaking primers? or is this normal after firing? This isn't my bolt, I found this pic on another forum.

m700_bolt_face-1.jpg

From leaking primers, but does not affect its functioning. Check out all the soot residue around the bolt face. Needs a good cleaning.

is the narrow dark ring around the firing pin hole considered bolt face erosion? Is this from leaking primers? or is this normal after firing? This isn't my bolt, I found this pic on another forum.

m700_bolt_face-1.jpg

If it is actually a groove It is from a continued diet of hot loads and/or loose primer
pockets.( very bad ).

By the looks of the bolt, cleaning is in order and then inspection. It might be primer seal
from shooting military ammo that has built up over time due to improper cleaning.

If it is just a build up of the primer seal (It's like fingernail polish) then it just needs cleaning

If it is erosion it has gone to far and should be replaced because of continued overpressure
loads that could have over stressed the bolt. This condition is NOT normal and should be
stopped for safety purposes.

J E CUSTOM

thanks guys,

I'm getting a similar ring around my firing pin hole, but it comes off with cleaning. My pockets are still tight when seating primers. someone suggested I try a primer pocket uniformer to improve the seal. I'm gonna give that a go and work my load up again. No other pressure signs at this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.