Bolt face diameter's

Actually I forgot that Weatherby is coming out with the 6.5 RPM which seem to be the same powder capacity as the 264 win. It also uses the standard bolt face so this is also a good option. I expect with reloading I could get 3000fps out of the 156 VLD. I just dont know how the throat or freebore is going to be on this caliber. PTG has reamers already from what I head. I wonder if JGS also has them as well.

Actually I forgot that Weatherby is coming out with the 6.5 RPM which seem to be the same powder capacity as the 264 win. It also uses the standard bolt face so this is also a good option. I expect with reloading I could get 3000fps out of the 156 VLD. I just dont know how the throat or freebore is going to be on this caliber. PTG has reamers already from what I head. I wonder if JGS also has them as well.

When it comes to 6.5mm bullets, unless you are shooting extreme long range, there is little reason to go with the 156grain Berger. The 140grain Elite has a G1 BC of .606 and the 156grain Elite has a G1 of .679 (.073 is very little difference). The extra velocity you can get with the 140 will overcome any disadvantage to the 156 until the range gets really long.

Last edited:
I recently up dated the post #1 with some of the newer cartridges so it is more up to date. Some of the newer cartridges are still not listed and just have to be dealt with on an individual basis.

J E CUSTOM

I recently up dated the post #1 with some of the newer cartridges so it is more up to date. Some of the newer cartridges are still not listed and just have to be dealt with on an individual basis.

J E CUSTOM
Thank You - I found my newer fad calibers now. Much easier to read than all the follow-up posts. Wow - 11 years - still a very useful post.

I suggest you add an action length category. There are now a few actions that fall between a long and a short. These actions typically allow a maximum COAL of about 3.200". There are a few cartridges being used in short actions that are better suited for that longer length.

I suggest you add an action length category. There are now a few actions that fall between a long and a short. These actions typically allow a maximum COAL of about 3.200". There are a few cartridges being used in short actions that are better suited for that longer length.

Thanks ED.
I had though/looked at this and just decided to go with the standard length actions and magazines. If a person uses an extended mag, and he extends the bolt stop he can use longer cartridges but he is still limited buy the ejection port and the bolt stop. I also don't have dimensions for some custom actions to be accurate enough.

It also helps some decide if they want to load singles or load multiple cartridges to mag length.

Feel free to let me know if there are other areas that could be improved.

Thanks again for the input.

J E CUSTOM

.....Feel free to let me know if there are other areas that could be improved....Thanks again for the input......

One more should you wish-I've been looking at what's available/possible with the 0.447" cases such as the Grendel.

Thanks for all your input over the years, very useful!

One more should you wish-I've been looking at what's available/possible with the 0.447" cases such as the Grendel.

Thanks for all your input over the years, very useful!

You are welcome !

Lots of the rebated rim cases just have to be made on a small bolt face like the 223 (.384 dia) and a new extractor has to be used. (like the .422 diameter of the 6.8 SPC)

It is common in these situations to have to open up some bolt faces. another good example is if you chamber a 700 Remington for the 338 Lapua you must open the bolt face on a magnum bolt, but if you use a Weatherby 378 action/bolt it is within .003 thousandths and works great it even uses the same extractor.

J E CUSTOM

Lapping the recoil lugs increases the contact to 100% between the bolt and the recever.
this helps prevent the bolt from moving when fired and distributes the loading of the bolt
and recever equally improving accuracy.

It also smoothes the surface so the bolt will ingauge and dis-ingauge easer.

But I don't recomend lapping unless you can lapp before final head space or you will increase
head space to an unexceptable amount.

If the head space "Is" tight then lapping will loosen it .

Jeweling the bolt helps hold oil/lubricants on moving parts and also makes it look better.

J E CUSTOM
I just pulled the barrel on my Savage 110. The barrel will be replaced with a custom. The bolt has a stick/slip on the lift. I want to lap the bolt and receiver prior to the the new barrel and gages arrive.
Advice on how a person should proceed. Would lapping compound and pressure applied to the front of the bolt be a suggestion? if so, what grit of compound would you advise.
Thanks

I just pulled the barrel on my Savage 110. The barrel will be replaced with a custom. The bolt has a stick/slip on the lift. I want to lap the bolt and receiver prior to the the new barrel and gages arrive.
Advice on how a person should proceed. Would lapping compound and pressure applied to the front of the bolt be a suggestion? if so, what grit of compound would you advise.
Thanks

I normally have to machine the lugs and the lug abutments to get them true, and then I use 800 and 1000 grit garnet lapping compound to bring the machine finish to a very smooth finish to minimize friction that could increase bolt lift.

Here is an inexpensive tool for this process.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...lapping-tools/bolt-lapping-tools-prod414.aspx

If you have 80+% engagement in the lug surfaces, then a good 600 grit garnet will bring them to near 100% and then finish up with a 800 or 1000 grit to polish.

In my opinion, lapping the lugs should be done to increase the contact area and improve the finish, not to true them up.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks. Can you elaborate some on your last statement? What are the considerations for what rounds need an opening up of the rails and why?
Like if you are installing a WSM in a short action 700 that was built as 233 or if you're doing an ultramag in an action that was built and designed as a 270

And to throw a wrench in the whole thing there's guys like myself and swamp Lord that design cartridges that are all new face sizes that won't work on any existing actions like the ex nihilo parent cartridge