Bolt face diameter's

.440 is about 6ppc or Grendel size. Yes you would need a different extractor. You could order a PTG bolt set up for it and sell yours or have yours modified.

Thanks. Can you elaborate some on your last statement? What are the considerations for what rounds need an opening up of the rails and why?
Speaking of this, I just "finished" a 700 short action in 7WSM. Everything works great except feeding out of the mag box. What amount of rail material would you suggest to be removed to make this work?

Speaking of this, I just "finished" a 700 short action in 7WSM. Everything works great except feeding out of the mag box. What amount of rail material would you suggest to be removed to make this work?

In my experience with all short mags, they perform better with a center feed mag box.

The stagger feed system is very hard to regulate and the mag wont normally hold more than 2 without them popping out during cycling.

The center feed controls the short round and feeds it straight into the chamber. You can also adjust the round height in the magazine to feed better and without touching the bullet during chambering.

I wont build a short mag without the center feed box or mag any more.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM

In my experience with all short mags, they perform better with a center feed mag box.

The stagger feed system is very hard to regulate and the mag wont normally hold more than 2 without them popping out during cycling.

The center feed controls the short round and feeds it straight into the chamber. You can also adjust the round height in the magazine to feed better and without touching the bullet during chambering.

I wont build a short mag without the center feed box or mag any more.

Just Me

J E CUSTOM
Thank you sir! Hate to display my ignorance but could you steer me toward a center feed box?

Doesn't the feed rails on the action need to get widen? Does the feeding ramp points on each side need to get trimmed?
My 6.5saum feeds but it is not smooth. The gun smith had a hard time getting it to feed. I see that you suggest that single stack mag. Have you ever built a saum on a long action? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Doesn't the feed rails on the action need to get widen? Does the feeding ramp points on each side need to get trimmed?
My 6.5saum feeds but it is not smooth. The gun smith had a hard time getting it to feed. I see that you suggest that single stack mag. Have you ever built a saum on a long action? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

My 7saum is built on a Rem700 long-action. The donor action started out as a 300RUM. I use AI 300winmag single stack mags. It feeds just fine.

My gun Smith (great builder) is Leary of building me anther one. First one is on a short action. I bought a 7twist for the 150gr and heavier bullets and pulling my 300wby barrel. He said after the feeding issues on the first one he really doesn't want to even try it on a long action. Is there info anywhere that talk about the rails and ramp?
Thanks again

My gun Smith (great builder) is Leary of building me anther one. First one is on a short action. I bought a 7twist for the 150gr and heavier bullets and pulling my 300wby barrel. He said after the feeding issues on the first one he really doesn't want to even try it on a long action. Is there info anywhere that talk about the rails and ramp?
Thanks again

Because my donor action started as a magnum, no modifications needed to be made to the rails and ramp. That would be my recommendation to you as well. Start with a magnum long action and you shouldn't have any problems.

Can you swap a non magnum(standard bolt .473) head to a magnum (.532) on a savage 116 long action? I have a long action with a non magnum bolt head and wanted to swap it out to a magnum like a 264win mag. I tried the cases in the mag box and they seem to fit pretty easy. It is currently a long action 6.5X284Norma. Would like to have something to drive the 156 bergers a little faster and my 6.5 is shot out. Just some thoughts I was entertaining.

Can you swap a non magnum(standard bolt .473) head to a magnum (.532) on a savage 116 long action? I have a long action with a non magnum bolt head and wanted to swap it out to a magnum like a 264win mag. I tried the cases in the mag box and they seem to fit pretty easy. It is currently a long action 6.5X284Norma. Would like to have something to drive the 156 bergers a little faster and my 6.5 is shot out. Just some thoughts I was entertaining.
My understanding is that you can change the bolt head on a Savage. A buddy of mine does it all the time. But I am not that familiar with Savage actions. So I don't know if there's any difference among the actions they produce. I am sure someone will chime in with some good info. If not, PM a guy with screenname J E Custom. He is a wise gunsmith.