Bolt bounce and Scope shift when dry firing

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
Can anyone help me out here? Getting used to the trigger on my gun. Its a Rem 700 thats been blueprinted, PTG bolt installed and lugs lapped, with a Proof steel barrel. Trigger Tech trigger set at 1# 3oz. Bolt bounces every time I dry fire it and scope POI shifts left 1/4" every time at 100 yds. Any ideas on what's the cause and how to eliminate this? Any help would be appreciated.

Try it with a snap cap or a fired round, bet it won't do it then. It is play in the action when the cocking mechanism in the back of the action releases with no round chambered.

That would be my guess. A simple test would prove it right or wrong.

Steve

Your scope shouldn't be shifting. If its shifting under dry fire its definitely gonna shift with recoil when you do fire it.
Some scopes take 2 or 3 shots to "settle in" after adjusting.

I believe the POI is moving because the gun is moving, not that the actual scope is moving on the gun. Its an ATACR 7-35 with Nightforce rings on a 6 Dasher and weighs 17#, low recoil. I have another rifle (virtually identical) that the bolt does not jump and the crosshairs stay on the target as the shot breaks under dry fire. This problem gun still shoots 3/8" groups at 100yds one right after another. The group is always horizontal in a straight line. I can stop the POI shift by firming up my grip, but it opens up the groups a bit.

I believe the POI is moving because the gun is moving, not that the actual scope is moving on the gun. Its an ATACR 7-35 with Nightforce rings on a 6 Dasher and weighs 17#, low recoil. I have another rifle (virtually identical) that the bolt does not jump and the crosshairs stay on the target as the shot breaks under dry fire. This problem gun still shoots 3/8" groups at 100yds one right after another. The group is always horizontal in a straight line. I can stop the POI shift by firming up my grip, but it opens up the groups a bit.
O.K I thought you meant your scope tracking was shifting.

I think there could be a timing issue with your bolt. I had the same issue with a remingtkn about 2 years ago. Try lifting the bolt slightly and pulling the trigger. Try it at a few different degrees of lift and see if it goes away. If it does, its going to take a trip to the Smith to fix, though not expensive.

I went through this myself awhile back. It's a natural point of aim issue. Rifles only has some great videos on this. Gotta be square and when you think your good. Close your eyes and go through two breathing cycles then open your eyes and see if your crosshairs have moved. If they have moved you will need to shift your hips to the side they've moved to and then check again. Very slight hip shifting is usually all it will take. If it's alot you may need to rebuild the position completely.

I went through this myself awhile back. It's a natural point of aim issue. Rifles only has some great videos on this. Gotta be square and when you think your good. Close your eyes and go through two breathing cycles then open your eyes and see if your crosshairs have moved. If they have moved you will need to shift your hips to the side they've moved to and then check again. Very slight hip shifting is usually all it will take. If it's alot you may need to rebuild the position completely.
I agree with Joe. I have this happen to me at times and the only thing that I know I change to make the POA shift go away is correct NPA.

I have experienced this same issue. The two things that stopped it were changing your grip and amount of shoulder pressure or changing the firing pin and spring assembly. I have 10 rifles built almost alike except for the cartridge chambering. I noticed that with some of them the crosshairs jumped when aimed and dry fired and some did not. The ones that did not jump shot more accurately. If I used exactly the same technique with a light hold, I would have to change the firing pin and spring assembly on the ones that jumped to get them to stop jumping. This was the only solution that I found without using different shooting techniques. Changing techniques for different rifles is a huge pain.

I haven't seen anyone else make mention of the potential cause of the bolt bounce. I don't see where bolt bounce has anything to do with technique.
I think one of the replies suggested that being due to a mechanical interference and I agree with this. I have seen this same behavior when i dry fire. I never tried snap caps to see if the reduced firing fin travel would stop the bolt handle movement.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts