Bolt action upper???

megastink

With all this ridiculous "semi-auto ban" talk, I started thinking about the feasibility of a bolt action upper. I own an AR in 6.8spc which I cannot hunt with here in Pennsylvania (law states "manually operated actions" only). But it's still fun to shoot.

I figured if a true bolt action upper were available, it could be a great way to avoid this whole "semi-auto"ban scare, AND create new manufacturing jobs. Plus, it would make an AR platform rifle legal to hunt with in all "rifle approved" hunting states (some states do not all rifles [NJ]).

I know Remington makes the MSR, but it's not a true AR, but it does look very close to what I imagine a bolt AR would look like.. I am also not interested in learning how to Jerry-rig a semi auto into a semi-bolt action. I would love the opportunity to go deer hunting with my bolt action .308, then if I wanted to go coyote hunting, I could carry a .223 upper in my backpack. Simple pin-and-switch.

Anyway, is it even possible? If so, would you buy one?

Mag fed.

Buy one lower with all of the expensive goodies you wish.

Ability to swap calibers or change to a cool barrel with a push of two pins.

Good idea.

With all this ridiculous "semi-auto ban" talk, I started thinking about the feasibility of a bolt action upper. I own an AR in 6.8spc which I cannot hunt with here in Pennsylvania (law states "manually operated actions" only). But it's still fun to shoot.

I figured if a true bolt action upper were available, it could be a great way to avoid this whole "semi-auto"ban scare, AND create new manufacturing jobs. Plus, it would make an AR platform rifle legal to hunt with in all "rifle approved" hunting states (some states do not all rifles [NJ]).

I know Remington makes the MSR, but it's not a true AR, but it does look very close to what I imagine a bolt AR would look like.. I am also not interested in learning how to Jerry-rig a semi auto into a semi-bolt action. I would love the opportunity to go deer hunting with my bolt action .308, then if I wanted to go coyote hunting, I could carry a .223 upper in my backpack. Simple pin-and-switch.

This is what you're looking for, but as the video states. They are not very reliable in the larger hunting calibers because in order to keep cases from getting stuck, you need to rotate the bolt. (like you do in a regular bolt action) When you lift the bolt...the handle cams across the reciever making the case rotate at the same time is moves back ever so slightly. This gets it loose from the chamber and allows easy extraction.
This kind of strait pull design is missing that rotation, aspect of the bolt throw.

(and don't get you're hopes up on being able to use it anyway. The list of features they are looking to ban would include this model, simply because it has a pistol grip)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4FigimH9g&list=HL1356159467]Southern Gun Company Speedmaster - YouTube[/ame]

I live in Mass where the Ban that they are looking to reinstatte ,was never lifted. We have been able to purchase these rifles with pistol grips. They are specifically produced by some f the manufacturers to meet the regs. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it's the aggregate of certain features that would make a pistol grip illegal. That is why we saw AK's with the ridiculous stocks that had a giant thumb hole. Anyway, while I think the Ban is crap, my AR shooting snd hunting has not been influenced. I like the idea of a positive lock bolt for an AR, for my long range work. Might be a great business opportunity for someone.

...I am pretty sure, but not positive, that it's the aggregate of certain features that would make a pistol grip illegal. That is why we saw AK's with the ridiculous stocks that had a giant thumb hole.

That's correct, but only for the OLD 1994 ban. The liberals feel the reasons it didn't work as well as they expected...is because there were to many "loopholes." If you look at the list that's going around now. It doesn't need to be an aggregate of some features. It's ANY features that would make it illegal.

This 870 is LEGAL
870.ashx

This 870 would be ILLEGAL
Remington_870_Knoxx_Tactical.jpg

I would not buy one. I'm not a big fan of multi-use rifles as you describe.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty neat concept. I might buy one for plinking. However, nothing beats a rifle designed with a specific purpose. Bolt actions are the best for long range use. Optics would be another issue. My .223 AR upper would only be used out to 300 yards while my bolt gun would be ready for 600 yards or more. Something to think about.

I spent many moons in the USMC caryying an M16A2 and an M40A1/A3. This would still be my preferred method. It adds more weight but I guess I'm old school that way.

It does interest me enough that I will keep my eye out for any developments.

You can always remove the gas tube and spin the gas block around. Then you will have to manually charge it. Perfectly legal AR hunter for PA. A side charging upper would be even better set up the same way. Joebobsoutfitters.com has them. Complete upper with BCG.

Or simply pull a seal ring from bolt then operate it manually. I'd personally go for a side charger upper.

its much easier than you think. All you need is a barrel with no gas port and a side charge bolt carrier. You then will have a spring assisted strait pull manual action.

All four suggestions on this page are completely ridiculous.
Will it work? Sure. A few times. And then you'll either strip your bolt lugs or sheer a lug off your barrel extension.

The AR system operates in semi-auto fashion because a specific pressure is reached as the bolt begins to unlock and open.

When you max out your pressure BEFORE the bolt begins to unlock and open, you GREATLY risk getting cases stuck or damaging your parts.

Will it work? Sure. A couple times, if you're lucky.
But its a TERRIBLE idea.
There is a very good reason manufacturers don't build them this way.

That's how they make them for Britain, check out Target Shooter Magazine | Dedicated to Target Shooting Sports Worldwide very good target magazine and how do you think the piston Uppers work, they simply push the bolt back -no gas unlocking the bolt- just the carrier cam, sure it doesn't have the extraction cam of a rem 700, but neither does the rem 770. no problem with setting it up as straight pull. How would the pressure have anything to do with pulling bolt back manually, the pressure is gone and case has shrunk back down by time you do it vs carbine gas system doing it way to soon.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.