bolt action pistol setup?

loaders_loft

For those of you shooting a bolt action pistol, what would be the best setup for a right handed shooter?

Left port, left bolt

Dual Port, left bolt

dual port, right bolt

etc...

Seems like a left port, left bolt or dual port left bolt would be easiest...??

Is the savage undesignated PTA available in these configurations??

Left left would seem the best. I heard rumors of this happening with the target action, but am anaware if it has happened yet.

I have a pistol that coyboy put together on a right bolt/left port, I went with the right bolt so I never have to worry about introducing the bolthead to my face... I really like that configuration for prone shooting, I can operate the bolt with one hand and grab the spent brass with the other...

Savage has both available. Left or right bolt. Left or right port or dual port.

Fred at Savage Shooters will also, along with Scott Null Savage Gunsmithing , rework your action for a left bolt. You can also swap bolt heads to make most any action eject right or left.

Personally the left bolt Target action is not worth an extra $300. so I watch gun broker for Savage Strikers.

I am a hunter and like having my hand on the grip at all times. Left bolt/left port means I can extract spent cases and feed a live round with my left hand all the while my right hand is used for lining up for another shot.

Neal

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.