Bolt action 450 Bushmaster

Denny L

I am looking into a 450 Bushmaster bolt action. I live in Indiana and have a AR and the round is great for where I hunt and legal. I heard a Savage 308 bolt action could be used and the barrel replaced. I would be indebted if I could get some information on base gun, barrel sources and difficulty in replacing the barrel

I am looking into a 450 Bushmaster bolt action. I live in Indiana and have a AR and the round is great for where I hunt and legal. I heard a Savage 308 bolt action could be used and the barrel replaced. I would be indebted if I could get some information on base gun, barrel sources and difficulty in replacing the barrel

The 450 Bushmaster is a rimed case, so any action with a flat bolt face will work (like the Mauser)

Any bolt that has a recessed bolt face will be problematic.

The falling block actions also work well (Ruger, Browning Winchester)

J E CUSTOM

Have you thought about a 45 Raptor? It's basically a 460 S&W for rifles. Can use cut down and sized 30-06 brass.

I roughly formed a couple of cases. They look pretty neat but getting them to feed will take some work, same with 450 Bushmaster.

45 RAPTOR

My goal is to finish one sometime this summer.

BP

The 450 Bushmaster is a rimed case, so any action with a flat bolt face will work (like the Mauser)

Any bolt that has a recessed bolt face will be problematic.

The falling block actions also work well (Ruger, Browning Winchester)

J E CUSTOM

Sorry, This was for another post (A 460 )

The 450 Bushmaster has a rebated rim and will work in any bolt action.

I must have been tired.

Again sorry

J E CUSTOM

I have a 460 single shot in TC with a MGM custom barrel with brake. Its a fine rifle but I am a little slow on reloading the AR 450 Bushmaster with an 8 round magazine is nice

Attachments

• tc rif.jpg
    tc rif.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 151
I have a 460 single shot in TC with a MGM custom barrel with brake. Its a fine rifle but I am a little slow on reloading the AR 450 Bushmaster with an 8 round magazine is nice

In the future, the TC or a single shot will be my recommendation for any rifle using a rimed pistol cartridge .

I have an AR upper in 450 bushmaster and for hogs it is awesome. (I to like the 8 round mags).

J E CUSTOM

Why not grow up some time and do it in a .458 Socom. Lol just kidding I have both and like them both since they are still illegal in lower Michigan but the 450 is not. I will be following this thread with some interest. I like the idea

Why not grow up some time and do it in a .458 Socom. Lol just kidding I have both and like them both since they are still illegal in lower Michigan but the 450 is not. I will be following this thread with some interest. I like the idea

Obviously The 458 Socom is a very good round and at one time I had looked at it.

The reason I chose the 450 bushmaster was not just the price of the ammo. ($32.00 compared to
$62.00 a box for the Socom). the velocity of the factory 458 ammo is 1845ft/sec compared to 2200 ft/sec of the 450 Bushmaster. the energy is also lower for the 458 Socom (2267 ft/lbs compared to 2686 ft/lbs for the 450 bushmaster.

When it first came out Hornady was loading the 450 Bushmaster hotter (2400 ft/sec) and I bought 10 Boxes. It was the most powerful thing I could shoot in an AR 15. with over 2800 ft/lbs of energy.also the cases can be made out of 284 Winchester brass.

I also looked at the Beowulf with the 400 grain bullet at 1800 ft/sec and slightly more energy
2800 ft/lbs of the newer ammo. But it is a proprietary cartridge and brass and cannot be duplicated because of the extreme rebated case head. It was also 25% higher in cost than the 450 Bushmaster.

They would all be good for what I wanted it for (Hogs). but I chose the Bushmaster for the reasons
listed in the post.

J E CUSTOM

Looks like a Savage would be the way to go with a .473 bolt face. Barrel is available from Apache Gun works. Now I am looking for a 11 Hog Hunter in 308. Any one see a great deal on a used one give me a shout.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts