Boise . . . LRH Guys

I live in Kuna and if you don't mind improvising your own range there is lots of country with in 30 mins you can shoot just about as far as you want.

Yeah, I found a really good spot out towards the "Stage Stop" on the way to Mt Home. It's a draw about 800 yards long that's just deep enough that on windy days, it's very calm in the bottom of the draw. Problem is that I just don't know much about LR shooting, and no matter how much I read, there's just times when hands-on experience is the best teacher.

Most things in life worth doing take a long time to master and hands on is the only way. Of course a good mentor helps. I would check out the Vale shooting club. I have belonged to one for almost 20 years and I have had mentors and I have also helped others. I even helped run the club for a few years.

---

Thanks for the additional information regarding ID. I hope to visit this spring and I will stop by Vale to see what is going on. I just signed up on their email list.

Idaho looks like a great State. Most of the Northwest looks great.

Check out BoiseShooters.com. There is a great bunch of guys on there that will help get started on everything from LR to USPSA to IDPA. The Parma Rod and Gun club is pretty active and they do a lot of long range stuff, including Mile Shoots!

Sounds like there are a lot of great clubs in that corner of ID that will get you going in the right direction. Now I have a two more to check out, Many thanks!

A mentor is good for sure. I have a friend in Nampa and a gunsmith who got me rolling. I am set up and ready to go now. Wound up with a nice savage 116 in 6.5-284 and a night force. Got all the other tools to go with it. I am not new to reloading but I was far from understanding the LR principles. I primarily bow hunt so the LR thing is still a bit strange and sometimes the rifle feels weird. I stopped shooting on any sort of regular basis years ago. The renewed interest has me putting rounds out to a 1000 decently and now I want to stretch it out and find out my limits. Good luck.

Looking for anyone in the Boise area that's a member of the LRH crowd. Experienced LR Master or newbie.

I'm just getting my feet wet with knowledge . . . not even making the gear jump yet. I'm hoping to gain knowledge of rifle platforms, modifications, accessories and shooting technique. If you are a newbie like me, we might as well tackle this sport together. As I gain more knowledge I'm planning on upgrading piece by piece until I get a LR shooter.

I've shot Vale quite a bit, it's a very nice group out there.. Another hoot to shoot is Rexburg match.. It's been awhile since I've shot either, but I really enjoyed the matches in Rexburg. Here's some info; http://www.uscidaho.org/Resources/Pictures/Long Range/2013 Offical RexburghighpowerSched.pdf
Good luck on your LR shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.